PDA

View Full Version : Keyhole surgery?

Mags
11-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Today I received a reminder from the vet to let me know that Cassie's booster is due. Enclosed with the reminder was a letter informing clients of some changes within the practice, which I thought were interesting.

They are now one of the first practices in the country to offer keyhole spaying for bitches. It's far less traumatic and only the ovaries are removed. At the moment it only seems to be for dogs but wouldn't it be good if it was extended to cats as well:)

Another big change there is that they are now running cat only consulting times at their main surgery/hospital. Can only be good news for owners of nervous cats!

Here's a link to their practice, click on the link under News, on the right...

http://www.highcroftvet.co.uk/

Jac
11-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Funny you should mention that Mags. When I had Caspurr at the vet on Monday it was all cats in the waiting room. No dogs. I mentioned this to the receptionist and she said they were now running cat only consultations once a week. I was just lucky I had him booked in then.

When I had blue I always left him in the car until it was his turn. I looked on it as he was ok with cats but having a dog about sometimes stressed other cats.

I think key hole surgery is a fantastic idea. Lets hope that in the near future it's wildly used for both cats and dogs alike.

dinahsmum
11-07-2007, 03:05 PM
That's interesting Mags. Think the 'dog-free' consultation sessions are a very good idea, for everyone.
Keyhole is good but i wonder about pyometra. That's an infection of the uterus which is very very common in unspeyed bitches. I'd need to speak to the vet to be sure that removing the hormones (ovaries) is sufficient to prevent this nasty condition. Otherwise I'm afraid I'd go for the larger surgery, whilst the dog is young and fit, and make sure the nasty infection didn't lay her low when she was much older and less able to withstand major surgery.
However, no more pups for me, so hopefully no need to make that decision.
Edit:
Having looked at the link - they say the smaller op does prevent pyometra.
Also - have looked at your vets' pics. So many girls! The profession really is becoming feminised, isn't it? Can you remember the proportion I gave you for Lucy's (my niece) class at vet school? I think it was something like 110 girls 20 boys :roll: Things will be different.

Donna
11-07-2007, 04:06 PM
When Misty and Chloe were spayed they were done by "keyhole". A small incision - less than 1cm - was made to their sides.....

Was amazed at how small the scar was and how they managed to do what they had to do through such a small gap!!!

Also agree cat only times is good - maybe they should continue that down to other nervy animals too and have them seen in the "cat time" as well.

dandysmom
11-07-2007, 04:15 PM
That was very interesting about the keyhole surgery! And I think it's wonderful that they have a cats only session...I wish my vets did that; may mention it to them!

dinahsmum
11-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Wonder if a cat spey has always only been removal of the ovaries. My old girls only had one stitch worth of incision on one side (and Teddie's recent op site was secured only by glue!) - do you think both ovaries + uterus came out through there or just the ovaries?
Anyone know?

charliebubs
11-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Good for your vets doing a cat only session - I might ask my vets about that (especially after my recent episode with Bernard and that nasty dog owner!!). ;)

Keyhole surgery does sound good too - I wonder if and when that will become commonplace?!

charliebubs
11-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Wonder if a cat spey has always only been removal of the ovaries. My old girls only had one stitch worth of incision on one side (and Teddie's recent op site was secured only by glue!) - do you think both ovaries + uterus came out through there or just the ovaries?
Anyone know?

I know that Abi had her whole womb removed and the scar along her tummy was huge - but that was at the same time as a caesarian, so perhaps it was different for her??! :?

mable1718
11-07-2007, 04:33 PM
that is very interesting mags