PDA

View Full Version : how many do you have???

puddytats
07-07-2007, 08:11 PM
i was just wondering how many cats everyone has?

i myself have 4...but my husband wants to keep one of our kittens:roll: and he is allergic to them:roll: :roll: .....

anyway how many do you all have?:)

smudgley
07-07-2007, 08:13 PM
We have 3. That's as many as I'd want at any one time, but then I have foster cats in all the time too to look after.

Tom
07-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Umm.. 10 I think and then some wee kittys! :D

dandysmom
07-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Leia, my indoor blue torbie; and Onyx, who's a shy black stray I've been feeding for months and think of as my cat, even though I can't get her to come in the house.

chrisratty
07-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Well we've got 2 cats & 4 kittens at the moment...after next weekend hopefully we'll have 2 cats & 1 kitten as the 2 little boys are going a week on Monday & hopefully one of the girlies.

chris xx

Elaine
07-07-2007, 08:59 PM
2 cats, would dearly love more but the Diva wouldnt allow it:lol:
Maybe when we get a bigger place....................
Or if i visit Dawn and Jenga is still with her....................

alexgirl73
07-07-2007, 09:08 PM
My 3 lovely babies!! Oh, and my 4 foster kitties at the moment too.

topazicatzbeth
07-07-2007, 10:04 PM
:oops: i have 12. 5 moggies, 1 birman, 2 norwegian forests and 4 ragdolls.

plus 7 kittens at the moment

'my name is beth and im a cataholic' :D

smudgley
07-07-2007, 10:11 PM

Hi Beth, would love to see a photo of your half a moggy. :-D

Elaine
07-07-2007, 10:13 PM
I thought that when i first read it too:lol: :lol: :lol:
I just didnt want to be the impertinant one to ask;)

dandysmom
07-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Hate to admit it but I did also...:-D

topazicatzbeth
07-07-2007, 10:31 PM
:D i dont have half a moggie but i do own half a raggie.:D

my sister and i breed raggies and joint own our stud boy, but he lives with her so i didnt count him

MrsH
07-07-2007, 10:33 PM
We have 2, we've never had more than that. I'm afraid that if we did add to the number then we wouldn't know when to stop, so we resist temptation!

Elaine
07-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Very wise MrsH xxx

dandysmom
07-07-2007, 10:44 PM
I've never had more than three at one time; that was enough to keep me busy! I'd love to have another, but like Elaine"s Diva, I doubt if Leia would be happy with that...:(

smudgley
07-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Oh now I can see.... I read it that you had 12.5 moggies plus the other 7... sorry. I see now that you have 12 in total.

sarahd
07-07-2007, 11:10 PM
I have 21 at the moment:
5 Ragdolls
5 British Shorthairs
7 British shorthair kittens (all got new homes except 2)
3 moggies
Hubby's maine coon

Sarah
x

Fran
07-07-2007, 11:14 PM
10 here (5 moggies, 3 Siamese, 2 Orientals) + 4 Siamese babies at the minute :cool:

smudgley
07-07-2007, 11:17 PM
I have 21 at the moment:
5 Ragdolls
5 British Shorthairs
3 moggies
Hubby's maine coon

Sarah
x

:shock: 21 :shock:

:shock: wow :shock:

Socks
08-07-2007, 02:19 AM
Only 3 ^^ Garfeild,Socks and Maiah. They keep me busy though...Well, Garfeild dosn't since he basically takes care of his self. o.o;;

dandysmom
08-07-2007, 02:37 AM
How's Maiah tonight, Socks?

Moli
08-07-2007, 08:37 AM
I have 5...1 Siamese, 1 Oriential, 2 Exotics. and white & Ginger Moggy.

Jane
08-07-2007, 10:15 AM
We have one, but also a kitty who lives on our allotment, so kind of two..?

Mags
08-07-2007, 10:22 AM

Oops...I thought you said you were a catholic when I first read your post!!:oops::lol:
I thought that explained all your cats!!!:lol: Silly me!! :-D

Mags
08-07-2007, 10:23 AM
I have just the one cat.....Cassie, a tortoiseshell moggy.....

Liz
08-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Just to add I am a sucker for hard luck stories and have somehow ended up with 20 ferals, 15 domestics, 1 neurotic ragdoll and the down to one dog jazz a JRT who thinks she is a cat

Also have 2 strays Tyson and Cooper, Tuson is sweet, Cooper is not and one of our own from last years escape Rio is still sitting on the traps one year on!

Also 5 Bridge cats and my Bridge BC

Just a sucker for a sob story, the ones who never tame down and the ones I couldn't let go ranging from 17 years to 2 and all loved and wanted even the ferals who still hate us!

jenna marie
08-07-2007, 01:18 PM
hi zoe,
I have had always had a cat in my life forom the age of around 3 years old. I recently moved in with my partner and was aware of my obsesson with cats. unfortunatly he`s allergic!
Everytime we went round to my parents house the allergic reaction would take place.so i never tought we could even think about getting a cat!
Two weeks ago he said `lets go and get a cat` just out of the blue! so we got a rescue cat from a shelter from our area. He has been fine with her, its a bloody miracle haha im so happy now. :D

Jac
08-07-2007, 01:38 PM
I can now say I'm the proud Mummy of 2 wee Ragdolls:smt007

jenna marie
08-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Well done jac!!!
Hope you wernt in to much pain!:lol:

Mags
08-07-2007, 01:56 PM
I have 21 at the moment:
5 Ragdolls
5 British Shorthairs
3 moggies
Hubby's maine coon

Sarah
x
21 cats :shock::shock: it must be crowded in your house :lol: .... do they all manage to get a cuddle each day? :-D

How is Peapod now ( I love her name!) after losing her babies, Sarah? I hope she has recovered from her ordeal:?

Jac
08-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Well donr jac!!!:o
Hope you wernt in to much pain!:lol:

The best labour Ive ever had. Didn't feel a thing and no epidural:cool:

Moli
08-07-2007, 02:00 PM
The best labour Ive ever had. Didn't feel a thing and no epidural:cool:We could make a fortune out of you Jac's....:lol:

random
08-07-2007, 06:17 PM
9 in the house at the moment, but only 4 are mine, 1 is my father's and one is my sister's and 3 are going to their new homes very soon. :( :( :(

Emm
08-07-2007, 07:25 PM
I have 5 cats :D

Donna
08-07-2007, 07:29 PM
I have two. Which is plenty for me!!! If they got on I might be tempted to have more, but dont think I would stand having three cats in my house that didnt like each other!!!

Two that tolerate each other is enough (plus I have the bunnies to look after too).

Kazz
08-07-2007, 07:40 PM
I have 1 - I am to mean to have any more..

dandysmom
08-07-2007, 07:56 PM
I have two. Which is plenty for me!!! If they got on I might be tempted to have more, but dont think I would stand having three cats in my house that didnt like each other!!!

Two that tolerate each other is enough (plus I have the bunnies to look after too).
It might distract them, Donna! Patches and Misty just tolerated one another; but when Dandy came he loved them both, especially Misty! She ended up being sort of his mum, which gave her less time to be annoyed with Patches! :-D

Tanya
08-07-2007, 07:57 PM
I have one cat at the moment and plan to get another one in September/October time - when I move. :)

mable1718
08-07-2007, 08:35 PM
we have 7 violet mau mau mable vincent jac misty and domino

alexgirl73
08-07-2007, 08:41 PM
I have 1 - I am to mean to have any more..

Codswallop!!!!! You are just being very kind to an old lady and letting her live out her life in peace!:D

puddytats
08-07-2007, 09:46 PM
wow...i didn't expect so many replies! lol
its really nice to know how many cats you all have.
Ive enjoyed reading all the posts....omg some you have so many fury's. i didn't know we had to count the kittens, so in that case i have 8 my 4 moggies and 3 kittens.

dandysmom
08-07-2007, 09:50 PM
We're a chatty lot here, Puddytats!

Luke
08-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Just my two moggy girls here. I would quite like, in the future, a big ginger moggy tom or old-style seal point siamese tom, but I do not think that would be in any close time tbh.
Anyway, Bella's constantly into trouble so I think counts for about TEN cats!

sarahd
08-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Hi Mags
Not all the cats live inside. The 3 moggies spend most of their time outdoors and only come in for feeding and then off again. One of my ragdolls is outside all the time as he is my stud cat. The kittens are in kittening pens in the living room so they are safe and i know where they are along with their mums.
The rest of the cats take it in turns at being in the house and out in the heated pens in the garden. They all get a brush in the morning and a cuddle when they are fed and again at night time when we do the rounds. The ones that are in the house at the time get to come to bed with us and have biggg cuddles hence the rotation system. It works well for us and we make sure no one gets left out. Its also a big help if ever anyone gets the sniffles as it prevents the whole lot of them coming down with it and its easier to isolate.

Peapod is doing reall well and has totally recovered from her ordeal and operation. Sadly she has had to be rehomed as she developed an intolerance to normal cat food and biscuits and needed to be put on a special prescription diet permanently. It wasnt practical for that to happen here and she was always managing to get hold of food she wasnt supposed to have. That in turn was causing her to be quite ill with stomach ulcers. In the end we made the hard decision to rehome her. She now lives in a mansion in Cheltenham with another old lady cat who is 12. They live the life of riley both on their prescription diets. Sharing the sofa and the garden lounger in the sunshine. We get regular updates about her and it is such a relief she is loved and cared for.
She even went to her new home in a leather Prada cat carrier :shock: . Just hope she didnt leave them a parcel in it on the way :lol:

Sarah
x

dandysmom
08-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Awww, what a happy ending for Peapod!

Mags
08-07-2007, 11:49 PM
They must all keep you busy Sarah! :D

I'm pleased to hear Peapod has recovered and gone to a home that will cope with her diet .......it must have been difficult to keep her away from the food of the others...

sarahd
09-07-2007, 09:18 PM
It was really hard and hard on the others too as they were just so used to being able to help themselves to biscuits at any time of day or night :roll:
But now she is a lady of leisure and really living life to the full with her older friend so that makes it all worth while for her.

sarah
x

Fran
09-07-2007, 09:35 PM
It is very hard Sarah when one cat has to have a special diet, as you know I have Porsha who has a severe food intolerance but I manage to get by and mine are all kept together. If I kept mine in smaller groups it would be much easier I must admit. For all the difficulties I encounter with Porsha's intolerance, I still could not rehome her though, I just love her too much. I hope Peapod has now finally found her forever home, she must be quite confused, bless her. How long had you had her Sarah?

sammy
09-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Just the two at the moment, Des and Bubs (brother and sister), but we have had up to six. Have sadly lost 3 to old age illnesses and one (Mizz, last year) to probably a brain tumour, in the last 2 years. :(

However, am seriously considering taking on a new rescue kitten sometime soon! :)

Socks
10-07-2007, 01:35 AM
How's Maiah tonight, Socks?

Very Hyper lol. I walked in my room after getting back from the doctor and I saw Socks and Maiah climbing on the curtains T_T Socks was sitting on top like "....I didn't tell her to do that..." Oh wellz, They were old curtains anyways XP (Ugly too lol)

charliebubs
10-07-2007, 12:18 PM
It was really hard and hard on the others too as they were just so used to being able to help themselves to biscuits at any time of day or night :roll:
But now she is a lady of leisure and really living life to the full with her older friend so that makes it all worth while for her.

sarah
x

I'm sorry to be the one to say this when everyone else is being so polite - but I'm so sad for poor Peapod.

You had only had her a short time Sarah. She sadly lost her litter and you said that you were going to neuter her and keep her as a companion for your stud boy. I cannot now believe that she has been re-homed. :evil: :evil:

Surely, if she was living with your stud boy in his stud quarters that would have kept her apart from the other 20 cats and their food and it wouldn't have been difficult to feed her and the stud boy separately?!

Fran and others live with cats with food intolerances and they deal with it because they love their cats.

I'm so angry writing this that I'm shaking. :mad:

It seems to me that you have an "easy come, easy go" attitude to your cats. They are not commodities that can just be kept for as long as they are useful to you (be that for breeding or for showing) and then re-homed.

Don't even get me started on the fact that you have rehomed Ferne with Jac. You had only had Ferne for a matter of weeks too. I wonder what her breeder thinks to her being rehomed :shock:

To top it all off, you have said that you are keeping at least 2 of your British Shorthair kittens :mad: when it would appear that you can't cope with the cats that you have.

I'd love your comments and for you to justify your actions. I hope that I'm wrong - for the sake of the cats.

At least Peapod and Ferne will now have loving forever homes.

sarahd
10-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Peapod did end up being neutered and when it came round to it I felt she deserved more than being in the pen outside with Alfie. I wanted her to be inside and in a family environment hence why she went to the new home that she did. I loved Peapod and thats why I did what i did for her and let her go to a home where she would be very much part of the family.
As for Ferne her breeder knew about her being rehomed and she wouldn't have been if I hadnt have thought she was going somewhere she would have been loved and well cared for. This proof is shown in the photo's Jac has posted and the comments she makes about Caspurr also the caring side she had when she was waiting for his arrival when we discussed certain things. I wanted her to show mainly and not to just breed from. She wasnt able to be shown and I wasnt prepared to just breed from her as that wasnt my intention in the first place. So she went to a home where she would be a much loved pet.
I am actually keeping one of my kittens although i dont feel i have to justify my actions to anyone. I do what i feel is best and not what anyone else thinks. If people dont like the way I do things then thats up to them and of course they are entitled to their own opinions.
As for a witch hunt on the boards i think that is totally unnecessary and there is no need for public humiliation.
I do right by my cats at every point. They are well looked after and vet checked where ever necessary. They are loved and have lots of time spent with them with cuddles, grooming and generally just being played with and petted. Whether or not I have redeemed myself as you put it i suppose is down for you to be judge and jury on. But personally I dont feel I have done anything wrong by putting the welfare of my cats priority.

Sarah

charliebubs
10-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Peapod did end up being neutered and when it came round to it I felt she deserved more than being in the pen outside with Alfie. I wanted her to be inside and in a family environment hence why she went to the new home that she did. I loved Peapod and thats why I did what i did for her and let her go to a home where she would be very much part of the family.
As for Ferne her breeder knew about her being rehomed and she wouldn't have been if I hadnt have thought she was going somewhere she would have been loved and well cared for. This proof is shown in the photo's Jac has posted and the comments she makes about Caspurr also the caring side she had when she was waiting for his arrival when we discussed certain things. I wanted her to show mainly and not to just breed from. She wasnt able to be shown and I wasnt prepared to just breed from her as that wasnt my intention in the first place. So she went to a home where she would be a much loved pet.
I am actually keeping one of my kittens although i dont feel i have to justify my actions to anyone. I do what i feel is best and not what anyone else thinks. If people dont like the way I do things then thats up to them and of course they are entitled to their own opinions.
As for a witch hunt on the boards i think that is totally unnecessary and there is no need for public humiliation.
I do right by my cats at every point. They are well looked after and vet checked where ever necessary. They are loved and have lots of time spent with them with cuddles, grooming and generally just being played with and petted. Whether or not I have redeemed myself as you put it i suppose is down for you to be judge and jury on. But personally I dont feel I have done anything wrong by putting the welfare of my cats priority.

Sarah

http://www.ragapost.co.uk/catsandkittenswholeft.html

Sarah, I think that this is all the evidence we need.

This is not a witch hunt - I just strongly disagree with your actions and I know I'm not the only one on here.

charliebubs
10-07-2007, 03:23 PM

Just to clarify.................my dispute is not with the fact that Jac has Ferne (Abi). I know how wonderful and loving Jac is and I know that Abi will be a very, very much loved member of her family and live there happily ever after.

My problem is that you only had Ferne a few weeks yourself and I know from your other posts that you were intending to show her. You say on your website that she "developed" a white spot, but I think that this was clear from all the pics you posted from the moment you had her. It appears to me that as soon as you realised she was not show quality you didn't hang around in rehoming her and making room for your next cat or kitten (I understand that you have been speaking to a breeder about getting another raggie breeding queen!) :shock:

Also, just as an aside.............you mentioned in one of your other threads and posts that the vet had talked to you about FIP after you lost one of your cats...........did you ever find out if you have/had FIP in your household? :?

Charlie

smudgley
10-07-2007, 03:50 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Moli
10-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Saw a beautiful litter of moggys today....wonder if I can sneak one in and 5 will become 6!!;)

sarahd
10-07-2007, 07:15 PM
It is my business who, when and how I rehome a cat and when i do so i will do to the best of my ability and to the best possible homes i can find.
The cat I lost to FIP was over two and a half years ago and my cats have since been blood tested for their teiter levels and continue to do so on a regular basis. Not that i need to explain myself to you but will for the record seen as you are hell bent on throwing every single post i ever made back at me. If you back up your facts by looking on the FAB website it will tell you that any household with more than 3 cats in it are at risk and will at some time or another be a victim of FIP. Just not many other breeders will admit they lost a cat to it.
You say its not a witch hunt well it looks pretty damn like one from where i'm sitting and from where people i have spoken to are sitting also.
I didnt say she developed a white spot on her chin i said she had developed a coloured chin. Again the fact i chose to rehome her is my business and i am happy where she has gone to.
If you open your eyes to a lot of the breeding world you will find that most breeders move on their retired breeding queens, cats are as you put it no longer of any use to loving pet homes. Its the way the breeding world works. You only have to look on the websites of the breeders or kitten list etc to see these such adverts. So are you going to go on those websites and shoot them down in flames and degrade them also. As i've done the self and same thing as they are by rehoming three cats and i've been given hell for it

Mags
10-07-2007, 07:30 PM
I think we have gone off topic rather, so let's all get back to the posters original question ..... "How many cats do you have"...

smudgley
10-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Maybe Az can branch this?

puddytats
10-07-2007, 07:36 PM
:shock: :( i started this thread to see how many cats people on this forum have...and to get to know people and their cats a little better...i must admit that i was shocked when i saw this argument start.....and felt like i couldn't post in the thread:roll: I'm not sure this is the place to air your opinions! and that's all it its.....a difference in opinion, so maybe we could just leave it at that:D pleaaaaaase????????

all that aside its nice to know I'm not the only one who is cat mad:D

dandysmom
10-07-2007, 07:51 PM
I agree; we've gotten off subject here. Lets move the discussion part to another thread if necessary, but it seems that both sides have stated their positions. Why not drop it?

Mags
10-07-2007, 08:44 PM
I agree; we've gotten off subject here. Lets move the discussion part to another thread if necessary, but it seems that both sides have stated their positions. Why not drop it?
Either drop it or continue the discussion with PM's......

Puddytats, this isn't a normal Catsey practice......we really are a friendly bunch here ;):cool:

puddytats
10-07-2007, 09:18 PM
its ok...don't worry I'm not offended....lol just made me feel a little funny! this is a nice place...and i know not everyone will agree with what everyone else is saying..but hey...that's why its called an opinion.

anyway i forgot to mention one of my cats......Ive slapped my own wrist. lol.

she was my first cat called rocky but she lives with my mum...so do i add her to my list??? yes i think i will!!!! bless her she is 16 now and had a tiny hole in here heart.

dandysmom
10-07-2007, 09:22 PM
She may live with your Mum but she's still your cat in your heart! Count her!

Mags
10-07-2007, 09:24 PM
its ok...don't worry I'm not offended....lol just made me feel a little funny! this is a nice place...and i know not everyone will agree with what everyone else is saying..but hey...that's why its called an opinion.

anyway i forgot to mention one of my cats......Ive slapped my own wrist. lol.

she was my first cat called rocky but she lives with my mum...so do i add her to my list??? yes i think i will!!!! bless her she is 16 now and had a tiny hole in here heart.
Aww, she has to be included too :D sending her a cyber cuddle! :lol:

charliebubs
11-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Sorry Puddytats!!!!! :oops: I promise that I don't usually argue with people - this one just got my back up :(

Agreed that we should drop it now, but I make no apology for what I have said to Sarah. I stand by my opinion and I disagree that all breeders have the practice of rehoming old breeding queens - so please don't let us all be tarred with the same brush. :(

The end!! lol

Right, so I never answered the original question..........

I have four cats :) and I love them all dearly. Soon to be 5, when my new baby joins me in a few weeks. I can't wait!!!! :)

Samz5
11-07-2007, 11:08 AM
4 Cats here too, soon to be 5 again this week as our stray moves in on Thurday

JBalways2000
11-07-2007, 11:47 PM
cats are so addictive arent they? i only got my first 2 october last year and will be going to collect my next 2 on monday:shock: :lol: so as of monday i will have four black and white moggy boys:D though im forever making lists in my head of all the different kitties id like to have, but id need a castle to get them all!:lol:

chrisratty
11-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Well JBalways2000, you'll have 4 cats..but I'll have 2 LESS on Monday evening...then another less the weekend after...down from 7 to 3 in 3 weeks...gonna miss those kitties...but you're gaining 2 cuties.

chris xx