PDA

View Full Version : Do cats need cat company?

Soupie
18-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Pousse seems happy enough and whenever I come in from being out she is happily curled up somewhere fleecy although at weekends when I am in a lot she stays by me all the time. I hope this is just because she likes human company but I wonder if she misses having cat company.

In the history sheet which came with her she had lived with another cat at that home for some years and after his death become very timid again ..... She is said to be fine in her own company but I was pondering about getting her a quiet older friend.

Generally she is settling with her appetite and now lets me pick her up and sits on my lap of her own accord.

Am I worrying too much as usual or could she miss company? The worry would be that if it all went wrong then she would go back into her shell again :?

Kim
18-03-2007, 04:32 PM
I personally don't think cats need other cats for company. They are quite solitary animals, unlike dogs. All my cats live independently of each other. Having said that, my first cat, Tristan was totally in love with Mimi, whom we acquired shortly after him. When we lost her to an RTA he seemed heartbroken and never did bond with any of the cats we had afterwards.

alexgirl73
18-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Speaking from my personal experience, yes! When Broxi was on his own he didn't really do much, yet when we brought Cooper home, he really came out of his shell, and enjoyed his new playmate, and Cooper and Teddie like to snuggle up together!

charliebubs
18-03-2007, 04:59 PM
I would also say yes. Although I think it does depend a lot on the personality of the cat. Bernard isn't that bothered about the other cats and is quite solitary, but the other three love each other to bits and are always cuddled up together or chasing each other and playing.

As you can see from my pics, Lily even wanted Abi there with her new-born kittens!!!! :)

Hreow
18-03-2007, 05:03 PM
I agree with Kim. Most cat's don't need cat company. Many can take or leave it, some just don't tolerate others and yet others seem to thrive with either particular cats or in general.
I don't know your cat, you're the best judge, but I don't think it sounds as if she needs company just for the sake of it. If you're worried about her, try to give her more things to do - birdfeeder she can watch, puzzle-ball perhaps, more play with you.

Kazz
18-03-2007, 05:13 PM
I don't think cats need other cats. We "people" sometimes associate things cats do into human terms ie they do this they must be lonely when in fact they are just being cats.

Although my two were raised together Cleo is now fine on her own.

Fran
18-03-2007, 07:06 PM
I think it comes down to each individual cat's personality. I have two cats here that hate other cats and prefer their own or my company. But the Meezers definitely are not solitary cats and Maud, Claude and Clooney would pine for each other should anything happen to any of them. They sleep together, feed together, go out together and come in together. I'm not sure I would go for another adult though if you are considering getting another. I personally think kittens are so much easier to integrate and accept their place in the hierachy much more readily. Good luck with what you decide! Any chance you could perhaps adopt a cat from a rescue on a trial basis, just in case it doesn't work out?

Soupie
18-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Fran yes I could adopt one from where she came on a trial basis but my concern with a kitten is she might find it too much if it wants to play a lot? or would she put it in its place?

I honestly find her so hard to read and the info given by the previous owners is not very helpful in terms of her personality and likes and dislikes :roll:

I think I'll see how she goes for a bit longer and then consider a companion if she seems to be needing one

Kazz
18-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Maybe have a word with the rescue she came from an older cat may be a help

Elaine
18-03-2007, 08:19 PM
I disagree with the general statement that cats are solitary creatures. You only have to look at all the feral colonies that are around to see that. I do however agree that it does very much depend on each individual cats personality. Some cats simply will not tolerate another cat while others are quite happy to tolerate and share territory.
I think you are right to wait a while Soupie and make a more informed decision at a later date.

Moli
18-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Think it depends of the cat, Oliver and Casper are joined at the hip, not happy apart, but Merlin, Leo and Chancer prefer to be on their own...

dandysmom
18-03-2007, 09:07 PM
I'm definitely in the "it depends on the cat" school of opinion. I always had just a single cat until Misty, the little stray came. She bonded with the Aby, and very much missed him when he had to be PTS...went looking for him. She disliked Patches, but again bonded with Dandy my little Pura. After Patches died, Leia seems to be delighted at being an only cat, getting all the attention, lap time, etc! In my limited experience, introducing another adult female to the resident adult female didn't work out very well....

Kobster
18-03-2007, 11:48 PM
I think it depends on the cat. I have one that would rather be an only cat, one that can't stand to be separated from the other cats, and one that could take it or leave it.

Generally speaking, my cats have always done better in pairs.

Rosie
19-03-2007, 12:53 PM
I think on the whole cats are very solitary creatures. My Rosie definitely was. I had concerns when I got little Alfie but strangely enough it seems to have brought Rosie out of herself. She seems friendlier now and although she definitely would not allow Alfie to cuddle up to her you do see them sleeping and hanging out together a lot of the time.

dinahsmum
19-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Sorry to be boring - but it depends on the cat and the circumstances. Cat's brought up together seem to 'love' each other and grive when one goes etc. Adult cats usually accept a new kitten coming into the household but 2 adults won't necessarily get on.
I don't think cats 'need' company, generally.

Elaine
19-03-2007, 03:41 PM
http://www.perfectpaws.com/help2.html
Thought this was interesting.