PDA

View Full Version : Are you a hoarder?

Mags
29-01-2007, 08:24 PM
What item/s have you accumulated over the years, haven't used for yonks, probably never will......... but you can't bring yourself to get rid of ?

dandysmom
29-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Oh lord, Mags, the list could go on and on !! I am a pack rat: in the garage, some perfectly good lawn chairs that just need re-webbing that I'll do (some day); couple of nice table lamps in the basement that need fixing (but my former electrical store moved out to Virginia), some jeans that fit before I lost weight but are too baggy now (just in case I gain it back)....do you get the picture? :roll: Besides, you know Murphy's Law: as soon as you throw it away finally, you'll need it next week!!!

Tanya
29-01-2007, 08:55 PM
I HATE mess, so dont really hoard. I have the opposite problem, in that I throw something away or give it to the charity shop and then a couple of months later wonder where I put it.

Saying that, I do have one big passion:
Me to You Bears! I have about 50 of them, but that doesnt count does it?! ;)

dandysmom
29-01-2007, 08:57 PM
What about you, Mags? Do you hoard?

Kazz
29-01-2007, 09:11 PM
I have to say I am not a hoarder as such but I suppose if I hoard anything its books - although that could be classed as collecting :)

I have a good clear out every now and again anyhow.
Karen

alexgirl73
29-01-2007, 09:52 PM
I hoard but have to force myself to throw things away every so often. I have a large suitcase in my bedroom that has things in it like leaving cards I was given when I left my first job, essays I did at college, cards made by the kids, love letters from OH, stuff I collected from when I went to Florida when I was 16, the list could go on and on!! I also find it very difficult to throw out anything that someone has given me or the kids, ie teddies and ornaments.

yola
29-01-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm merciless when it comes to hoarding. I hate mess, clutter etc. I'm with Tanya as I will chuck out stuff that I later have to pay to replace :roll: But also, I'm with Kazz, as I just can't bring myself to throw out books.

The one things I did keep for ages and ages and only threw out last week was an old briefcase full of audio tapes. Mostly recorded by friends or from albums borrowed from friends. Thing is, I haven't had a tape player for a good 8 years now so they were pretty pointless really. :(

dandysmom
29-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Probably just as well you did, Yola; I found to my sorrow that tapes disintegrate, if that's the corrrect word, over time. I had a quite large collection of audio tapes; never discarded them when I switched to CDs years ago; got some out in a fit of nostalgia much later and they were unplayable.....:cry:

Kazz
29-01-2007, 11:36 PM
See I couldn't not will not throw out photo's either, I am quite ruthless at first with them and only keep good ones but then I keep them forever a photo like a letter is personal. I seem to keep those and this is a trait frommy Mom I never understood for years Mom keeps this year birthday/christmas etc cards I send her a birthday card she will keep it till the next year - when I was younger I never understood this but now realise its in case you never see that persons writing again......now I understand.

Karen

Mags
29-01-2007, 11:47 PM
I have all the little hand made cards and pottery pots made by my children in their school days ........ also a tape of them both singing together when they were about 4.
I have a suitcase full of Christmas and birthday cards that I never look at but add to each year, which I couldn't bring myself to throw out.
There's a naff dolphin ornament that I bought in Florida about 10 years ago - it looked lovely over there but just doesn't look right back here:( I won't get rid of it though!
And clothes! I keep telling myself I will probably wear them again....... but never do:roll:

I could go on and on! :-D

CathyW
29-01-2007, 11:57 PM
oh im terrible i collect loads of stuff. loads of bits n peices the kids have bought me over the years, ive got a birth announcement card that was given to my mum when I WAS BORN !!!! almost an antique now LOL ive got pics that my grand kids have made me.
i also thought if i gave away my too small jeans id suddenly lose weight, but so far it hasnt worked :(
photos ive got boxes/suitcases/bags full of them LOL ill get round to scanning them all onto the PC when ive got a few years spare.
ive also got 2 boxes of my dads china from when we cleared out his flat after he passed on, so 2 generations of clutter LOL