PDA

View Full Version : Daily Thread - New Years Day

Naomi
01-01-2007, 07:18 AM
OKay not a great start to the New Year. Was having a lovely sleep when everyoen started to set of fireworks at midnight. Wouldn't have minded so much if they only lasted 5-10 mins but they went on for an hour :shock: Was about to get out of bed, go to my neighbours and shove the rockets where the sun don;t shine :evil: Surely there's a quieter way of brining in the New Year :roll:

Eventually went back to sleep only to be awoken by a leaking tap :roll: Got no washers here to repair it and I don't think any DIY stores are open today :? My mum & dad are coming up later so I'll phone and find out if they have any spare washers and to bring them up with them. Oh this is going to be a fun day :roll:

Weather is blowing a gale but it's not raining yet. Tilly's gone back to bed and Timmy's about somewhere :D

Hope everyone has a better day than me.

dinahsmum
01-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Morning!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_6_11v.gif

Mine started wonderfully with my OH rushing to sit up, at 5.45, so he could have a good deep cough. He has developed a really nasty productive cough ... serves him right for going to Portugal before xmas!
We didn't make it to midnight, so the new year arrived unseen by us :)
Have a good day; have a good year

Mags
01-01-2007, 10:42 AM
http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/xmas/k044.gif

Good morning ! Welcome to 2007

The year has started with lovely sunshine here and not a cloud to be seen:D

Stayed up last night and saw the new year in on TV ........ what a marvellous firework display in London, I would say it equally matched some of the others displays shown around the world.

Taking things easy this morning then going to our daughter's this afternoon for a buffet.......... and no doubt playing with the new Christmas toys there!:D

Enjoy the start of the year everyone!

Kazz
01-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Saw the New Year in here. Having a nice dayno rain but according to the weather forcast the rain is coming again.

Naomi DIY stores are open or at least BQ is 10-5 I think, good luck.

Everyone travelling have a safe journey, turkey will be done about 1 so off to take the girls out shortly well Sal anyhow nice off lead run Tess in season so on lead walk for her.

Have a good day Karen

Donna
01-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Morning all

Lovely bright and sunny day but such a cold strong wind!! All my stuff has blown around the garden - oh well - will leave that till Spring!!

Bit of tidying up then sister and her four children are coming over and cooking me and my children dinner!! Nothing else planned.

Back to work for me tomorrow.

Jac
01-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Happy New Year Everyone.
Saw in the year with Derek and Ceilidh, very quiet but nice. Derek was on an early today so we went to bed about 1ish. Kept getting dunted as I was snoreing! Woke up to a sore throte and ears:( .
Bright and sunny here this morning, doesnt look like it will hold though.
Queit day instore for me I think. Hope everyone else is feeling fighting fit!

alexgirl73
01-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Morning all. We all made it to midnight and watched that fantastic firework display on tv. Spectacular. My mum phoned me 10 mins after the bells and she wasn't sure if it was 2007 or not yet as they had a power cut at 11pm and were sitting in darkness!! No idea if it's back on or not yet as I don't want to phone and wake them up if they are still asleep. Quiet day planned, having chicken pie for tea. Hope everyone has a pleasant start to 2007. Happy New Year!!

Luke
01-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Happy New Year all. Awoke to find my internet has completley gone from the PC upstairs and i can't seem to repair it:?Said to contact service provider but NTL is closed..something about IP address.
Anyway..just waiting for certain lazy springers too arise from their slumber and then we shall be off for the mornings walk..its actually sunny here today and quite mild..the cats have gone out so it can't be too bad!
Visitors coming up from your way DM, down in Dorset, for the day although it seems a blooming long way to travel for a day:roll:

Naomi
01-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks Kazz am off to B& Q see you later unless I manage to flood the kitchen :D

Fran
01-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Morning all and a very Happy 2007!!
Gorgeous sunny day here :cool: Stayed up very late last night. Hubby and I played electronic monopoly and Payday with the children and we all brought the New Year in with party poppers and a few drinks ;) Didn't go to bed until about 2ish.

Not much planned for today, feeling the worse for last night's drink :oops: Hope you all have a lovely New Year's day :D

dinahsmum
01-01-2007, 12:20 PM
It's just a beautiful day here. Will grab the oportunity and get out for an hour with Dinah. The beach is tempting but we went on Boxing day and it was like tesco on a Friday it was so busy. Hundreds of people and dogs enjoying themselves!
Have taken down the decorations. I only like them for about a week then I get fed up and want my space back!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_2_87.gif

wooly wonka
01-01-2007, 12:26 PM
hi every one the sun is shinning and my Boy's are helping with the house work- well they are asleep, but if they were awake I'm sure they would help ,ha .hope the rest of the year will be as good as today , going to chill today back to work to moz , but hey i love my job so that's a plus hope to maybe meet one or two members on my way around the UK this year ,, have a great day all ....

Kazz
01-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Know what you mean about Tesco's DM the park is full of people I've never seen before with dogs I've never seen either.

You won't flood the kitchen Naomi you can do it honestly.

Dinner Roast turkey and all the trimmings in about 2 hours.
So doing nothing till then its raining now, may be moving your way Luke.

dinahsmum
01-01-2007, 04:27 PM
The rain has returned! Bah! It was very pleasant earlier but ......
Hope we don't get floods; the river is very high and the flood meadows are full already.
It is really dark, at 3.30pm. Bah!
On the plus side, venison and red wine casserole is ready whenever we are, with bread and butter pudding and single cream for after. Yum.
Old clothes and porridge tomorrow :)

Kazz
01-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Dark here too and one of the nicest Turkey dinners I've had since Ohhhhhh let me think .............Yes last Monday,:roll: :-D followed by Christmas pud today last week was followed by Trifle.

dinahsmum
01-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Dark here too and one of the nicest Turkey dinners I've had since Ohhhhhh let me think .............Yes last Monday,:roll: :-D followed by Christmas pud today last week was followed by Trifle.
:-D :-D :-D
Not sure it won't be a waste of good food to give my OH venison & b&B pudding. :roll: This blooming cough/chest has got him as bad as I've seen him with a cold/similar (except the spectacular time probably 25 years or so ago, when we both got flu (real flu) at the same time and stayed in bed (because we couldn't move) for two and a half days and the children fed themselves with cornflakes and us with squash and cornflakes! :-D )

yola
01-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Watched Jools Holland last night with Dominik asleep on he sofa with us. The fireworks and yelling outside terrified him; and that was a 9pm!!! It seemed to start at about 7 and ended at about 1am when we went to bed. Sebastian slept right through it all!! Like Nae - I wish they would just let them off at midnight and be done with it instead of this protracted nonsense :evil:

I'm feeling very deflated. New year always does that to me - don't really know why :roll:

Went for a walk in Cookham by the river and came home. It was sunny but now it's nearly dark and the sky's black and threatening (ooops - correction, not threatening any more but disgorging), rain.

CathyW
01-01-2007, 05:41 PM
good afternoon all, last nights fireworks didnt bother my lot thankfully. pretty well bomb proof (thank goodness)
been out this morning, went to ikeas, bought some hanging lights, should be for xmas but think ill put 1 set up in the bedroom. they only cosy 1-00 each im pleased to say.
went into neighbours for coffee. met their bengal (kitty sitters)
ive had an hours sleep this after noon.
last night well we went for a lovly meal. got home about 11-30 OH was snoring on the sofa by 11-50 !!!!! so i nudged him away just b4 12.
next year ill find out if they have a disabled veiwing area for the london fireworks, then ill go n watch, cant do crowds any more, last time i had a panic attack and had to use my angina spray n sit down.
hope 2007 is a fantastic year for us all;)

alexgirl73
01-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Well, I've just had a lovely meal. Homemade carrot soup (I do love making soup), followed by chicken pie, with mash and a huge dollop of mixed veggies. Letting it settle before the strawberry cheesecake comes out, lol! My mums electric came back on at 4am this morning but went back off again around 3 hours ago, so she doesn't know if she'll be having ANY dinner. My baby niece (6 mths) is really unwell, throwing up everywhere, wont eat or drink (and if she does take a little breastfeed then she's sick straight away), cant see 'cause her eyes are bunged up with conjunctivitis. They have an emergeny app with the doctors at 6pm, so they think she might have to be admitted to hospital and put on a drip. Poor wee soul!

dandysmom
01-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Evening all, and Happy New Year again! Watched the ball in Times Square last night, then to sleep. Heavy rain overnight and on and off rain all day, cool and gloomy! Doing dull things today: writing '07 in checkbook and transferring birthdays, anniversaries, etc. from the old wall calendar to the new one. How exciting!! Onyx didn't come in the rain at lunch, but looked out the window later and the plate was empty: hope it was her! Tomorrow is a National Day of Mourning for President Ford, so government closed, no mail delivery, etc. Going to have the traditional ham andd black eyed peas for dinner. Old Southern superstition: black eyed peas for luck on New Years Day...have no idea why, but have done it forever, as I like them anyway!

yola
01-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Alex - I love(d) making soup in the days when I had a whole day to spend in the kitchen and I had a garden big enough to grow veggies in. Hey - one day I'll do it again :D

I do hope your little neice is OK. It's very frightening when tiny ones are unwell. The conjunctivitis should clear up on it's own (Sebastian gets it about one a week at the moment and it just comes and goes away again). Has the little girl been tested for lactose intollerance? It's getting more and more common I understand . . . I hope she doesn't end up in hospital - it's not a place that small children should be :(

alexgirl73
01-01-2007, 09:06 PM
I just had a text to say that she has been taken to the hospital, so of course everyone is frantic now, and it's worse when you're 300 miles away. But then, even if we were there what could we do?

Fran
01-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Oh Alex, how worrying :( I do hope that she is ok x

dandysmom
01-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Let us know how the little one is doing, Alex; hope everything will be OK!

smudgley
01-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Hello all.
I had a great couple of days. Good trip down to Axminster (which is in Devon ;) ) yesterday morning. Then had a great day / evening with our friends. Partied til about 3.30am! Then off to bed. Up at 8am & had breakfast, then some other friends joined us & we walked the dogs along the beach in lyme regis. Watched all the swimmers go in the sea at 12.00 (tradition apparently - a charity event, always at 12 on NYday) it was bloody cold though! Spent ages walking on the beach then back to our friends for a lovely lunch - then had a good drive home. Had tea & here I am, trying to read all the posts & catch up & answer some PM's too.

BUT work tomorrow & as much as I enjoy my job, I really don't want to go back to work :(

yola
01-01-2007, 11:43 PM
I just had a text to say that she has been taken to the hospital, so of course everyone is frantic now, and it's worse when you're 300 miles away. But then, even if we were there what could we do?

So sorry to hear that Alex. I hope she's fine once the doctors have established what the problem is. Hugs.

alexgirl73
02-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Still no word on how Sarah-Grace is doing, that's 6 hours since we heard anything. Trying really hard not to worry, but it's the waiting around that's driving me nuts!!

Fran
02-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Oh Alex, you must be very worried :( But it does seem to take a while to get through all the hospital admission procedures etc... Fingers crossed all is well x {{{Hugs}}}

smudgley
02-01-2007, 12:32 AM

Oh Alex, I've only just caught up with this news about your niece.
I really hope she's ok.
I'm sure she will be, she's in the best place,but that doesn't make it any easier for you worrying though.
{{{hugs}}}

alexgirl73
02-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Just heard, they've x-rayed her and she has a severe chest infection. She's been admitted and is now on a drip to replace lost fluids and administer antibiotics! Lots of good thoughts for the wee soul please. Thanks for everyones concern!

Mags
02-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Thinking of your neice Alex and hoping she will be alright ((((hugs))))

dandysmom
02-01-2007, 03:07 AM
Sending good vibes here, Alex; hope all goes well!