PDA

View Full Version : Teddie update

alexgirl73
24-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Thought I'd let you know how things are going with little miss! As you know she has been on the fish for the last 2 weeks which has done wonders for her. However, she has still been so hungry after eating it that she was wandering around trying to 'hoover' up any crumbs that anyone dropped and trying to steal food off of plates that I thought I had better try some proper food with her to fill her up a bit more. I had intended to leave it the month but Teddie dictated otherwise:D So, I got some of the HiLife cherish (min 50% fish) and have given her a small amount of that mixed in with her fish over the last 2 days, and NO RUNS!!!!!!!!! She absolutely adores it, and actually growls at me if I go near her when she's eating. She's never done that before. I have therefore come to the conclusion that my vet talks a load of twaddle, and that she has an intolerance to dry food. Once she is fully on the HiLife, I will keep her on that for at least 6 months before I try to introduce a little dry into her diet (as it is good for her teeth etc), but so far things are looking great.:-D

Mags
24-12-2006, 02:08 PM
That's great news Alex ........ keep the HiLife to a small amount so that her tummy gets used to that much before you increase it again. Hopefully you are going to beat this !:D

BTW, I'd just like to add how much I admire your patience with Teddie's problem over the weeks .......... well done!

alexgirl73
24-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Thank you Mags. She's my baby, I'll do whatever it takes. She is only having a tiny amount of the HiLife added to her food for the whole week, and then increased slightly for the following week and so on. It'll probably take around the month mark to get her onto it completely, but it will be SO worth it not to upset her tummy anymore.

What stops and makes me think, is that 2 months ago my vet was talking about her being pts because of the whole problem, yet still says it couldn't be that she was intolerant to all the dry food he had me try her on. Scary thought her not being here because of a food allergy!!!!!!!!!!

yola
24-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Time to change your vet Alex. If his advice is SO wide of the mark he either doesn't care enough or know enough to investigate it further.

Yes - hats off to you and your dedication to Teddie. I would have done it myself, but I know would have been under pressure from hubby to rehome if we had been faced with such a problem.

Jac
24-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Well done! Bet you feel so much better. Yip If I were you I'd be Vet hunting.
It took me three Vet's practices until I found one that I trusted 100%.

alexgirl73
24-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Oh, I'll definitely be changing vets! NO fear on that score. My Oh and I were discussing it recently and feel that the vet just looked at us as an easy mark (animal lovers written across the forehead), and wasn't really interested in getting to the bottom of it. I'll be registering her with the PDSA in january, so it's just a matter of finding a good practice around here that will accept her on the scheme. Thank you all for the support you have given us over the last few months, it has been so appreciated, believe me!!

Donna
24-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Glad Teddie is now getting better . Plain fish does wonders doesnt it?? I have some in my freezer for emergency sick kitties. Tis a good idea to add a tiny bit of cat food at a time.

Although convenient, dry food does have its downfalls - Teddie's intolerance, Chloe's cystitus.....

But good for their teeth!!!!

Elaine
24-12-2006, 06:07 PM
I am pleased to hear Teddies update, glad there has been no more runs and fingers crossed Teddies tummy troubles will improve maybe with age etc. Eva was pretty sensitive in the tummy dept when she was younger, nothing to what you have experienced but we still have to be carefull with her when it comes to changing foods etc.
Your patience is to be commended, no one ever doubted your commitment but it must have been very frustrating and upsetting at times. You have the patience of a saint.;)

Elaine
24-12-2006, 06:08 PM
You'r thinking I'm full
after clearing my dish,
but I'm licking my lips
after eating your fish.

Fran
24-12-2006, 06:37 PM
But good for their teeth!!!!

The article in this month's Cat World mag r.e. raw feeding (I posted a thread about this and a link to the article the other day) Is saying that the current thinking is that dry food does absolutely nothing to help a cat's teeth - interesting reading!

borderdawn
24-12-2006, 07:40 PM
What a great outcome, brill news!
Dawn.

John
24-12-2006, 08:20 PM
my vet told me to use Hills Science brand dryed,,it always makes Millie sick..for her dryed food Im now using James Welbeloved..seems a lot better

john

dandysmom
24-12-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm so happy to hear this!!! You've worked so long and so patiently with this little girl, and now it looks as if you've turned the corner!! What a Christmas blessing for you! Glad you're changing vets, he doesn't inspire much confidence...... pts indeed !!!!

Kim
25-12-2006, 12:07 AM
I'm really delighted to hear of Teddie's progress Alex. Your perseverance has definitely paid off. Hi-life is a very good quality food so she should do well on it. Have you thought of using a product called 'plaque off' for her teeth? It can be used for cats & dogs. I use it with Caleb and he has the sweetest smelling breath and excellent teeth! :-D It costs about £8 for a small tub which lasts months. You can buy it here. http://www.vet-medic.com/hierarchy_Products.aspx?pageNum=2&strGrp1Code=CATDOG&strGrp2Code=DENT

alexgirl73
25-12-2006, 03:33 PM
We've been a bit naughty today (well it is Christmas). I had bought Broxi and Cooper Salmon treats which I gave to them, and Teddie just sat there looking at me pleadingly, so she got given a couple. Hopefully it wont upset her too badly, but the poor baby deserves some sort of treat at Christmas.

Elaine
25-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Awww bless Teddy xxx, ofcourse she deserves a little treat, hope it doesnt disagree with her tummy though xxx

alexgirl73
26-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Well, I've given her a dose of the canikur granules to be on the safe side, but as she's bounding about on top of my dining room table just now, chasing a toy out of a cracker, I don't think there's much wrong with her, lol.

dandysmom
26-12-2006, 02:52 AM
It's so hard to resist them when they look at you so pitifully...I'm trying to keep Leia off her dry food snacks since her attack of cystitis but she misses them so much...been a routine for years; so am giving her some moistened with gravy left over from the morning's pouch (saved for that reason) or with milk. She doesn't like them as well moistened, but this way she's getting them and also some liquid. Haven't discussed this with the vet; will wait and see what happens..... glad you all had a good Christmas and that Teddie shared in the treats with the boys!

alexgirl73
26-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Well, she did the toilet this morning and there wasn't too much wrong with it. A little wetter perhaps, but nothing to write home about, so hopefully the fact they weren't dry treats helped.

charliebubs
26-12-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm so pleased to hear that she's doing better, Alex. What good news and such a relief!!! :)
Love to you both
Charlie
xx

charliebubs
26-12-2006, 05:51 PM
The article in this month's Cat World mag r.e. raw feeding (I posted a thread about this and a link to the article the other day) Is saying that the current thinking is that dry food does absolutely nothing to help a cat's teeth - interesting reading!

You beat me to this Fran!! I was going to say the same!! I have a cat that won't touch dry food, but a chicken wing (raw) every few weeks seems to keep on top of her teeth and any potential plaque problems.

dandysmom
26-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Charlie, I've always been told that you mustn't give a cat bones!! Perforated intestines or bones stuck in throat, or other horrid things...but apparently that must be wrong if you've been doing it for ages. And, thinking about it a bit, in the wild they eat birds and rodents, including bones...? Am I completely wrong about this? What does everyone else think...love to get your opinions!

yola
26-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Eileen - I think (and correct me if I'm wrong here . . . ) that it's only meat that's been cooked shouldn't be given to cats. That's when the bone splinters - raw is OK.

alexgirl73
26-12-2006, 09:44 PM
I'll look into this for Teddie. It would seem it would be better for her than risking trying her on dry food again. No further problems to report with her today, and I have increased her HiLife slightly today.

dandysmom
26-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Eileen - I think (and correct me if I'm wrong here . . . ) that it's only meat that's been cooked shouldn't be given to cats. That's when the bone splinters - raw is OK.
Well, that makes sense, Yola...maybe I'll try a chicken wing with Ms. Picky and see what she does....

charliebubs
27-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Charlie, I've always been told that you mustn't give a cat bones!! Perforated intestines or bones stuck in throat, or other horrid things...but apparently that must be wrong if you've been doing it for ages. And, thinking about it a bit, in the wild they eat birds and rodents, including bones...? Am I completely wrong about this? What does everyone else think...love to get your opinions!

Yes, Yola is right. Cooked bones can be really dangerous as they can splinter and get stuck and cause the cat to choke. Raw bones are fine though - just like they would have in the wild. If cats catch a bird or a mouse they will eat all of it (bones included) apart from the gall bladder - that's if they haven't just caught it for fun!!!

My vet when I lived in Australia actually started me on the raw chicken wing feeding, as my fussy eater won't eat dried food. The first time she had one she just played with it a bit, threw it up in the air and didn't really seem to know what to do with it................but since then she has been wolfing them down!!!

(Too much raw food can apparently cause constipation, so don't over-do it!!)

:)
xx

dandysmom
27-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks, Charlie, think I'll give it a try!

alexgirl73
29-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Well folks, we are back to square one. I increased her HiLife by a small amount but it was obviously too much for her stomach (unless she has managed to sneak something else on top of it) and she has the runs again quite badly. She will be starved from now until tomorrow morning again and then back on just plain fish once more. OH and I have decided that she will probably have to fed on the plain fish for life which is what will happen now. I think in a few weeks I will buy a few pouches of HiLife and add the same amount she had been on up until yesterday morning and see if she will tolerate that long term because at least then she would be getting some of the nutrients from a cat food. I was looking at the kitzyme tablets today but am wary of adding them to her diet as we all know how delicate the balance is. We shall just have to see how she goes. However, she is still playing and using the scratching post etc and seems bright still, so hopefully this will be sorted before the effects kick in.

dinahsmum
29-12-2006, 04:31 PM
:?
Ho hum. Here's the link to the raw feeding site, which gives a recipe, listing all those trace elements your cat needs (apparently) http://www.catnutrition.org/recipes.html
You might be able to sneak in a little trace of the vitamins/minerals occasionally with her fish?. I tend to agree that she needs food in her, and which stays in her system long enough for her to utilise, and if it's only fish that you can get in, so be it.
Remind me how she did on chicken? I assume that is a no-no too?
If you are feeling very brave one day you might try offerering her a whole raw sardine. Bet that's got a lot more in the way of esential oils & who-knows-what than plain white fish. If that's OK you can try a wider spectrum of fish & seafood and get some variety in that way.
Good luck. Are you OK for the canikur?

alexgirl73
29-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Thanks for that DM. It made interesting reading, but not something I'll be trying soon. But I'll have alook around for those salmon oil capsules, they sound good and should be okay with her. The chicken didn't work for her at all. The sardine idea is good too, but I'll hold off on that until I get her tummy settled again, but as you say if she tolerates it then hopefully she'll be able to enjoy more variety of fish. I still have a 5 days worth of granules so will give her a few of them with her next few meals and hopefully that will help settle her own quicker. x

Mags
29-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Oh dear, poor Teddie raises all our hopes for a while and then dashes them again :(

It sounds like fish is the only thing her tummy can cope with Alex. That's a good idea of DM's to introduce sardines to her diet - if she can take those, they will provide her with more nourishment......

I hope this last bout of upset clears up quickly .......:?

Fran
29-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Oh Alex :( I know how you are feeling, not that that is much consolation to you. Porsha has had a few bad days too of diarrhoea dripping everywhere, so bad her little bottom is raw :( I have given her a couple of days of the Promax paste and she has finally firmed up again but it is such a worry and so frustrating isn't it?

alexgirl73
29-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Poor Porsha!! We'll be turning to drink at this rate Fran. You wonder what is going on in these little kitties tummies that they are so sensitive, don't you? Did Porsha manage to steal some Christmas treats do you think? Teddie just couldn't seem to tolerate that bit extra of normal food, yet the salmon treats that she got a bit of on Christmas day didn't upset her at all!! Very strange. Though she did only have 2 little segments of the treat stick.

dandysmom
29-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Oh Alex, this is sad; she seemed to be doing so well! Maybe the fish and a little HiLife will stop the runs, and hopefully as she gets older her digestive systm won't be so delicate. Poor little mite, wish I could give her a cuddle.....:cry:

alexgirl73
29-12-2006, 08:46 PM
I've given her one for you Eileen, thank you! x

Fran
29-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Poor Porsha!! We'll be turning to drink at this rate Fran.
Did Porsha manage to steal some Christmas treats do you think?

I've already turned to the drink Alex ;) :-D

The only thing extra/different that she has had to eat is the cooked turkey, which I wouldn't have thought would have hurt her??

Elaine
29-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Big hugs all round I think for every one involved.
Could it have just been a case of too much too soon maybe Alex? Such a shame as you were both making good progress. I have a friend with a Maincoon, he had the runs constantly too, turns out he can only tolerate wet food and it has to be Felix beef flavour.
I really hope that as both Teddie and Porsha get older, their tummys become less sensitive.
Really feel for you both xxx
At least Eva's poo's are solid and easily cleaned up, makes me feel damned lucky.

alexgirl73
29-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Now Teddie had a little piece (and I mean little piece) of turkey on Christmas day, and no probs, but if I gave her the same size of a piece of chicken, then she'd have the runs again!!!!!

How on earth did your friend manage to discover what food and particular flavour his cat could tolerate Elaine, 'cause I'm too scared to give Teddie anything different now.

Elaine
29-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Unfortunately it was a long process of elimination and poor Billy had his bum shaved several times too.

Elaine
29-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Personally Alex, I would stick to what you know works for the time being, it may take a while but dont upset the balance too often for now. I sincerely wish both you and Fran all the very best. xxx

alexgirl73
29-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Hmm, I wonder if I try a felix fish flavour on Teddie, if that will work! Not for a few weeks though until her tummy settles back down again.

On second thoughts, make that a few months.

Fran
29-12-2006, 09:52 PM
I sincerely wish both you and Fran all the very best. xxx

Thank you Elaine x

alexgirl73
29-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Indeed Elaine, thank you x (hugs)

dandysmom
29-12-2006, 09:54 PM
And the sardines sound like a good suggestion, but I'd use the ones in oil rather than in tomato sauce... she'd be getting some calcium in the bones .........

alexgirl73
29-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Are sardines the ones that come in a can? (sorry, total ignoramous when it comes to fish).

Fran
29-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Are sardines the ones that come in a can? (sorry, total ignoramous when it comes to fish).

Yes Alex, both my dogs and my cats have sardines in tomato sauce out of a can :) They love them!!

alexgirl73
29-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Does anyone know where you can get those salmon oil capsules from? (not online)

Elaine
29-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Try Holland and Barrats.

Fran
29-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Does anyone know where you can get those salmon oil capsules from? (not online)

I buy mine from Holland and Barratt Alex...The dogs have the capsules whole in their tea but for the cats I cut the capsule and empty the oil onto their food

alexgirl73
29-12-2006, 10:06 PM
What are the actual benefits to the cat from using them, sorry I'm so thick with these things, but I've never had to use anything like this with any of my other cats.

dandysmom
29-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Are those capsules you all are referring to formulated for cats/dogs, or are they the people ones? I take Omega 3 fish oil capsules, and wonder if I could give some to Leia...? She doesn't much like fish. but will occasionally deign to eat a tin....

Fran
29-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Salmon oil is very rich in the Omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA. These help support healthy circulation amongst other things but I mainly give the supplement to promote healthy shiny coats and promote general wellbeing

Fran
29-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Are those capsules you all are referring to formulated for cats/dogs, or are they the people ones? I take Omega 3 fish oil capsules, and wonder if I could give some to Leia...? She doesn't much like fish. but will occasionally deign to eat a tin....

I buy the human salmon oil capsules to give my pets Eileen :)

alexgirl73
29-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Ah, thanks Fran! Definitely worth while giving them to her then, and the boys while I'm at it. Would those replace giving her the kityzyme tablets?

Fran
29-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Ah, thanks Fran! Definitely worth while giving them to her then, and the boys while I'm at it. Would those replace giving her the kityzyme tablets?

I'm not sure what kityzyme tablets are for Alex or what is in them?

alexgirl73
29-12-2006, 10:16 PM
I saw them in PAH today Fran, they are conditioning tablets, and they seemed to be some sort of cat vitamin thingy.

dandysmom
29-12-2006, 10:18 PM
I buy the human salmon oil capsules to give my pets Eileen :) YThanks, Fran; I'll try one of mine for her the next time she has fish and see how it goes..!

Fran
29-12-2006, 10:21 PM
I saw them in PAH today Fran, they are conditioning tablets, and they seemed to be some sort of cat vitamin thingy.

Ah, I have no experience of them Alex..

Fran
29-12-2006, 10:22 PM
YThanks, Fran; I'll try one of mine for her the next time she has fish and see how it goes..!

I don't feed fish oil supplements if I am actually feeding fish especially oily fish. I only use the supplement on the cat meat and only 5 days of the week Eileen...

dandysmom
29-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Hmmmm, not sure if she'd eat her moist meat or chicken food with fish oil on it...the only tinned fish she'll eat is ocean whitefish.... I was only going to give it to her once a week if she'd eat it. I take mine any day that I haven't eaten fish....

Fran
29-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Hmmmm, not sure if she'd eat her moist meat or chicken food with fish oil on it...the only tinned fish she'll eat is ocean whitefish.... I was only going to give it to her once a week if she'd eat it. I take mine any day that I haven't eaten fish....

See how she goes then Eileen, try salmon oil, my cats love the taste of it mixed in with their meat. Infact meals without the salmon oil come a very poor second here ;)

dandysmom
29-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Trouble is, salmon is one of the things she won't eat! Whenever I fix salmon salad there's always some left over from the tin, but not enough to use myself, so always gave it to the cats...Misty especially adored salmon, so did Patches, Last time I fixed salmon salad gave the remains to Onyx, who gobbled it up! Think I may try it once with Leia with the whitefish, but have a feeling she won't like it....Thanks much for all the info!

Fran
29-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Trouble is, salmon is one of the things she won't eat! Whenever I fix salmon salad there's always some left over from the tin, but not enough to use myself, so always gave it to the cats...Misty especially adored salmon, so did Patches, Last time I fixed salmon salad gave the remains to Onyx, who gobbled it up! Think I may try it once with Leia with the whitefish, but have a feeling she won't like it....Thanks much for all the info!

Aren't they funny, how they are all so very different and individual? Let us know how it goes Eileen :)

dandysmom
29-12-2006, 10:59 PM
I'll do that, Fran! Misty was, well. not a stray, she'd obviously been a house cat, I guess she was either lost or abandoned at 3 months; she ate anything! And everything: she definitely remembered the days when there had been no food to the day she died at 19 1/2! Her theory was: if you see food eat it! Picky wasn't in her vocabulary!

alexgirl73
29-12-2006, 11:07 PM
That is Teddie!!!! I swear she would eat sawdust if you put it in front of her. I don't think she'll ever be the type of cat you could leave food down all day for, she would eat it all in one go and be sick!

dandysmom
29-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Sultan, my Aby, used to like to leave some of his breakfast to nibble on throughout the day...until Misty came! He was soon cured of that! Won't it be wonderful when Teddie's stomach gets sorted out finally and she can gobble food to her hearts content and not have the runs! That's going to be one of my New Year wishes!

dinahsmum
30-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Just popping back to say that when I suggested a whole sardine (or sprat or whitebait) I meant a whole raw one, head on, insides in (maybe) from the fishmonger, to give Teddie some of the things she's missing, such as calcium from the bones, extra vitamins from the liver etc.
But I don't think it's time for that now.
Alex, as some of us oldies have mentioned before now, cats used to get so little to eat, and such little variety, it's amazing the species survived. For instance, lots of cats were only ever given bread and milk in the home - anything else they ate was hunted from outside. Or there was just Kit-E-Kat, which was a stnky fishy concoction, a bit like Chappie is now. Or potato and gravy. Teddie is really doing quite well on her white fish - compared to then she is living like a queen and it won't take very much in the way of occasional extras to make it a pretty much complete diet.

alexgirl73
30-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks for that DM. I never thought of that aspect of it. She had her fish this morning along with some granules, and is quite happily snoozing now, lol. I will try the sardine later on down the line, but will go up to Holland and Barrett next week and get some of the salmon oil capsules. Thanks all for the advice (again), x.

catcarol47
30-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi

I have spent all morning reading about Teddie. I have my fingers crossed that she progresses well. I have just posted a thread as my poor Molly has the runs so I know how you must feel.

I will keep watching for an update on Teddie.

Good luck and Happy New Year

Carol

alexgirl73
30-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Just to let you all know, she had more fish again this evening and has just gone to the toilet and it was SO much better. Not as normal as it was, but most definately a poo! Hurrah!!!! Hopefully it will get back to normal over the next few days and I can stop worrying again, lol!

dandysmom
31-12-2006, 12:20 AM
Big sigh of relief!!!