PDA

View Full Version : Colour theme for Christmas table

Kazz
06-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Okay all, has anyone got a theme/colour for their Christmas table?

Karen

alexgirl73
06-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Funnily enough, no! In my living room, all my decorations have to be red and gold, but when it comes to my table it's a hodge podge. My old Christmas tablecloth with a centrepiece the kids made a few years ago, whatever crackers I have for the tree (and oh joy, I was given a box of Barney the dinosaur ones for Hayley tonight), and that's about it. I would love to have one of those glam ones you see in magazines, but no go I'm afraid.

Kazz
06-12-2006, 09:51 PM
See I want to go for a nice colour theme this year Dave's Mom died in April and his Dad is being dragged from the house - notsure this will be succesful as he says he's staying home.:sad: He has been really really sad and depressed. Dave says he'll stay there if his Dad won't come can't blame him and his Dad wants no one to come over Christmas as he says he is/will be too sad to celebrate and won't ruin it for others :???: thing his his Mom and Dad were marrried on Chrisatmas day so their anniversay too would be 50 years :sad: so will be very emotional.

But if we managed to entice him away even just for dinner I want it to look nice.

Karen

alexgirl73
06-12-2006, 09:54 PM
If I were you Kazz, I wouldn't go for anything blatantly modern ie silver and blue etc. If you want to decorate I'd go down a more traditional road with pine cones and holly etc, perhaps in a red theme. Warm and inviting!

Kazz
06-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Yeah I was thinking crisp white linen table cloth and white china, best cutlery and crystal glasses with a touch of gold or red in the tablemats/runner/serviettes etc. As well as red and green tradition crackers,

alexgirl73
06-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Sounds lovely, do you think that too much white would be clinical looking? Perhaps a bit more colour? I'm not much good at this type of thing though tbh, lol!

Kazz
06-12-2006, 10:20 PM
This is last years table, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kazz76/xmastable2005.jpg

Jac
06-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Poor man Kazz, what a shame! I hope you get him to yours.

Kazz
06-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Poor man Kazz, what a shame! I hope you get him to yours.

Me too thanks.

Fran
06-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Your table looked beautiful last year Kazz, I am sure something similar this year would be beautiful too. I really hope you manage to get him over to yours for lunch x

Mags
06-12-2006, 11:10 PM
I think red, green and gold make a nice theme for the Christmas dinner table Kazz .......... your pic of last year's looks beautiful. :D

I do hope you manage to persuade "Dad" to come to you, it is so difficult being his
first Christmas following his bereavement........ I have been through it with my father and an uncle, it is such a sad time for them but they shouldn't be on their own :(

yola
06-12-2006, 11:43 PM
I think to make an older person feel welcome a traditional green/gold/red combination can't be beaten. It will hopefully make them feel festive enough to overcome their sadness for a few hours.

Last year I did silver and red and gold . . . looked lovely and sparkly especially as we did it all by candlelight (scuse mismached chairs and plates - it's a passion of mine to have non-matching things :roll: ). It was traditional, but with a twist.

[attach-center]274[/attach-center]

Sweet
07-12-2006, 09:08 AM
Beautiful tables both of you, I hope you manage to get Dad over to yours, I love the idea of reds, greens and golds.

Mine is normally mismatched too :roll: - if its homely and inviting that is all that matters :) x

Fran
07-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Your table looked gorgeous last year Yola! We have got rid of our big dining table and only have our antique drop leaf table to use now, so no great effects going to be created here this year :roll: I have decided on a silver theme this year but there will only the four of us for Christmas lunch this year so no need to stand on ceremony :lol:

alexgirl73
07-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Both of those tables looked lovely. I hope you manage to get your FIL to come, I'm sure being part of a family gathering will be better for him than sitting on his own brooding. x

Kim
07-12-2006, 05:22 PM
I think traditional is the way to go Kazz. Poor man, the first christmas is so, so difficult following a bereavement isn't it? Both of your tables look lovely. I tend to go for a bit if a mish mash I'm afraid.

Kazz
07-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Thanks all very much, I will try but he really is sad. Dave's Mom was such a christmas person - she belonged to an amature dramatics group too and was always in panto mood or Gilbert and Sulivan mood, I think he is missing all that she was disorganised yet lovely lady.

Will try though Dave's sister is trying to get him to hers as well but she remarried last year and his Dad said it does not feel like he is welcome as its his Son In laws house they moved into.
Mind you here is my house but he said previously to Dave and is wife before she died apparently "Karen's is like my parents home used to be when I was a lad, always someone coming and going and she turns the telly off when you go round and always remembers how many sugars in my tea" So I may have a chance. ;)

Mags
07-12-2006, 07:10 PM
It sounds very like to me Kazz, that you are the next best person he'd like to spend time with after his late wife......... he feels very comfortable in your house and can relax.

Kazz
07-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Maybe so, his brother has also invited him for Christmas, and he may well go there I have a feeling he might they are close, his sister in law was best friends with his wife and I think he may feel less under pressure to "perform/put on an act" so to speak. Be more himself - if you understand Dave has said if thats the case then he will go there with his Dad in case he wants to go home as they live in northumberland, and if he wants to go Dave wil bring him home.
I don;t mind where he spends Christmas as long as he is at least alright.
Karen