PDA

View Full Version : De clawing cats?

ellenlouise
17-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Why would you do this? I am sorry if I offend anyone but I think it sounds terrible. There claws are there natural defense against predators and to help them climb up trees. What would be the benefit to the cat? Or I a persuming this is the case to the human?

dinahsmum
17-11-2006, 01:07 PM
It's illegal in UK, Ellenlouise.
It's removal of the last joint on the toes, which, of course, takes the claw as well. Nice, eh?
Cats cannot scratch, climb trees or defend themselves.
Nor can they scratch furniture or wallpaper.

ellenlouise
17-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Sounds horrible. So glad its illegal in the UK. I was horrified. So really people do it so they cat/kitten can't scratch the wall paper. Bizzare.I will tell you the easiest answer. Don't get a cat.

Mags
17-11-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm glad it is illegal here ...... it sounds like a cruel mutilation for the poor cat :mad:

Elaine
17-11-2006, 01:35 PM
I too am very pleased it is illegal here in the UK. I personally feel it is a barbaric practise which serves no purpose other than to save a sofa.

dinahsmum
17-11-2006, 01:42 PM
http://www.declawing.com/
Not particularly pleasant reading - take care.

Fran
17-11-2006, 01:50 PM
http://www.declawing.com/
Not particularly pleasant reading - take care.

Think I'll give that one a miss DM!

dinahsmum
17-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Think I'll give that one a miss DM!
Exactly - I felt a bit hypocritical posting it, after my recent winge about unpleasant stories. However, although I knew the absolute basics, as in my first post, I wasn't really aware of the technicalities of the procedure, so thought I'd research.
Now I have done I won't be going there again.
The original article is written by an 'anti' vet, and is OK. Don't follow the links from the main page if you don't want to see the worst images.

yola
17-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Having frequented a couple of US cat sites, I did lock horns with several die hard de-clawers and in the interim learnt a lot of nasty facts about this procedure. Their right; the owners argued :evil: .

As mentioned here - it's simple if you don't want carpet/curtains/sofas damaged don't buy a cat!! Alternatively invest in the many products available that ensure cats don't damage funishings . . . they're out there if you look :shock:

Thank heaven it's illegal here. Begs the question why any 'civilised' nation would allow it :?

alexgirl73
17-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Why on earth would anyone want to do such a thing? How horrific for a cat, having the urge to scratch at a post or a tree and not being able to. This is an extremely sick practice.

julie
17-11-2006, 04:01 PM
that is such a cruel thing to do to an animal why should people interfere with nature ,cats are meant to have nails if they werent they wouldnt have them in the first place.
julie

Moli
17-11-2006, 04:48 PM
As far as I am concerned, its mutilation! its easy to teach a cat not to claw things!!!

Snoof
17-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Plus the procedure can result in a lifetime of pain for the cat...

Moli
17-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Why can't people leave animals as nature intended!:evil:

dandysmom
17-11-2006, 09:58 PM
I am utterly ashamed that this barbaric practice is still legal here in the States! More and more vets, thank God, are declining to perform the mutilation, that's what it is! If your drapes or sofa are more important to you, don't get a cat!

Kim
17-11-2006, 10:52 PM
It really is barbaric. I really don't mind having a few scratches around my home, although I am lucky, mine tend to use their scratching posts! Thank goodness it is illegal here.

ellenlouise
18-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Thankyou everyone I am so glad everyone feels the same way that this practice is horrific. I read in a post a while back that the person had just got their cat declawed and it had started not loosing his/her litter tray. Serves the person right. Hope one day it is illegal everywhere. Poor kitten. What worried me more was I found out about it in the book I brought at PAH a while back. It is called Kittens for Dummies and adviced to keep your cat indoors and to declaw it, disgusting! Next time I am in PAH I will tell them about the book.

yola
18-11-2006, 11:46 PM
What worried me more was I found out about it in the book I brought at PAH a while back. It is called Kittens for Dummies and adviced to keep your cat indoors and to declaw it, disgusting! Next time I am in PAH I will tell them about the book.

That's shocking, that a book like that should be on sale here advocating an illegal practice. I'd report it to Trading Standards as well as threatening to go to the press with it :evil:

alexgirl73
18-11-2006, 11:50 PM
That's shocking, that a book like that should be on sale here advocating an illegal practice. I'd report it to Trading Standards as well as threatening to go to the press with it :evil:

Here, Here Yola! I've seen that book in PAH, but never actually read it. Will be making a point of looking for it when I'm in on monday!:evil:

ellenlouise
19-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Will do. Went in to PAH yesterday to get Trixie an idea tag and some rabbit claw clippers as mine have just broken. I told the lady there she looked at me like I was a mad women.