PDA

View Full Version : another person new to all this in need of HELP!

caz2236
05-11-2006, 09:03 PM
Hello, on Friday I'm getting my new love Benjy (she was named when we thought she was a he... and it stuck!)

It's great to have a website like this as I've only ever had dogs and was really worried about getting a kitten. Thankfully I've been able to go through all the pages picking up some great bits of advise.

One thing that's worrying me with it being winter... do kittens (Benjy is only 9 weeks) need to be kept in a warm area? We were going to give her the conservatry to start with so that she felt comfortable but it is a little on the cold side in there...

Any help would be great, thanks
Caroline

Elmo
05-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Hiya :) I only joined yesterday :lol: so welcome from me :)

Elmo was 12weeks when we got him and we just gave him the run of the house so he could choose where he wanted to be - spoilt brat :lol: Typically he chose our bed!

I would perhaps buy an 'igloo' style bed, or one with high sides (Danish Design do a nice one) for her to snuggle into, but Elmo is my first all-my-own kitten, so I am prepared to be overruled on that idea!

I maybe wouldnt leave her in the conservatory - we have our rabbits in there and it very very quickly goes from freezing cold to stiflingly hot. Elmo is officially meant to live in the kitchen - is there a room Benjy could maybe live in, like the bathroom? :shrug:

Mags
05-11-2006, 09:51 PM
[attach-center]102[/attach-center]

Hello Caroline, a warm welcome to our friendly cat site!

How exciting to be getting a new kitten on Friday, I love her name !
As she is only 9 weeks old I would be inclined to let her have somewhere nice and warm to sleep ...... remember she has been used to cuddling up to her warm mum for all of her short life.... :)

I hope you'll enjoy it here, we'll look forward to chatting to you, hearing all about Benjy.... and hopefully seeing some pics of your new baby! :D

Elmo
05-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Just thought - can you also wrap a wheat bag or similar in a fluffy blanket or something? My mum is a member of an old style siamese cat club and they sell kitten nests which is the most gorgeous soft material with a wheat bag inside. Elmo loves his, even when the wheat bag isnt heated.

caz2236
05-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks for that, I think you're right... I may leave litter tray in there (so I can wipe up accidents) but put her bed in the living room.. like u said tho after a few days she'll have the run of the place so I'm sure she will choose.

One more thing if u've got a sec, any tips on cat litter, had my eye on the nice smeling clumping one but was worried it would clump onto her backside!:oops:
Thanks a lot for ur help
Caroline :)

Elmo
05-11-2006, 10:03 PM
We use Premium Choice clumping cat litter - I prefer te clumping stuff, seems more hygenic somehow. Elmo has very long trousers and he doesnt seem to have a problem with it sticking to him, plus it doesnt smell either.

We got given some Worlds Best litter when we got him, which was good, but jawdroppingly expensive and the premium choice lasts just as long and smells less. Someone who comes into the shop (I work in a pet shop) uses chick crumbs instead of Worlds Best, but I'm happy with the PC!

Mags
05-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Can you find out what make of cat litter the breeder is using at the moment? ...... if you can get the same, she will have no trouble adjusting to it....:)

caz2236
05-11-2006, 10:09 PM
that's brilliant, as I thought a fab site to join! Thanks again and if u look at my profile there's a picture of my lovely little girl (not techno enough to put it onto the thread!) I'm very excited and I'm sure I'll be posting soon when Friday comes and I'm panicking!!
Caroline x

yola
05-11-2006, 10:09 PM
[attach-center]75[/attach-center]

Hello, and welcome from me and my crew!! A kitten should really be kept on the warm side so a conservatory, with its fluctuation in temperature probably isn't best.

As for litter - some say that clumping litter for kittens isn't good - incase they injest it could potentially clump inside them and cause big problems. Having said that, both the cats I've had from kittens have had the grey, clumping stuff and have been fine.

Wise words from Mags though about continuity with the litter that the kitten's been used to. You can start off with that and then gradually move to your preferred brand bit by bit so kitty has a chance to adjust.

dandysmom
05-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Hi, and welcome to Catsey! You've had some very good advice about the http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Mags40/Catsey%20graphic/dandysmomwelcomegraphic.jpg
kitten's need for warmth,the litter, etc. Looking forward to hearing more about Benjy and seeing some pics!

dinahsmum
05-11-2006, 10:25 PM
[attach-center]56[/attach-center]

We'll look forward to hearing all about your new arrival. Lovely to have you here

Mags
05-11-2006, 10:27 PM
that's brilliant, as I thought a fab site to join! Thanks again and if u look at my profile there's a picture of my lovely little girl (not techno enough to put it onto the thread!)
Caroline x
This link will help you when you wish to post some pics of Benjy, Caroline ;)

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=8195

Moli
05-11-2006, 10:40 PM
[attach-center]135[/attach-center]

Kim
06-11-2006, 12:03 AM
Hi and welcome to Catsey.

Congratulations on your new kitty. I have to say that I do agree with the others that a conservatory isnt the best place for her. Kittens definitely need warmth and conservatorys can be cold, and become very warm if there is a bit of sunshine!