PDA

View Full Version : Help

yvonne
27-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Right sorry if this is a bit muddled.
On tuesday my Son's friend who was staying with us got a 'phone call from his Dad saying that his Mum had taken an overdose/had alocoholic poisoning and the council flat that they had been living in was being taken back, ie. eviction.
The parents are divorced but the Dad had also been staying in the flat, so now he too is homeless.
Mum has now been sectioned in hospital etc.
Now they have a cat, he had been locked in the flat by the local council and we were just told he had been fed, this was tuesday.
I got in touch so the lad(17!) could get his stuff out etc.
The lad and his Dad went to the flat today as they had to get everything out and the cat was still there.
I have rung rspca, cats protection and another charity in our area to get someone to do something about this poor thing.
Nobody could really help, c.p and other charity were full. rspca didn't get back to me.
Rang the council this afternoon to be told that the cat had been picked up by family and everthing was ok! I rang rspca back to tell them this.

Turns out the lad and his Dad had taken the cat and now have nowhere to take him, me being daft said they would have to bring him here while I sorted it.

Long story short, he is gorgeous great big bear of a cat, but............ my girls and Geoffrey have attacked on sight, living room is now a battle zone, covered in blood(mine) and fur and the cat is sitting in a corner hissing and spitting at everyone and everything.

What the heck can I do? I can't keep it, The other cats wont tollerate it, the lad's upset, no-one seems to want to help.
answers????

Emm
27-10-2006, 03:05 PM
poor poor cat

I would get the cat into a cattery at the moment if you are - is the cat vaccinated so you can do this?
I would also be phoning around the animal charities - this is outrageous that the cat was left locked in the flat.

Do you know any-one else that can maybe take the cat in temporarily - preferrably somebody who doesn't have cats?

did the CPL not have any fosterers available?

Sorry for all the questions - hope you get it sorted out soon

dinahsmum
27-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Oh my goodness.
Well done you for giving him shelter for now, anyway.
Thinking cap on .....
Well, you could try waiting to see if things will settle. But I know you have enough cats really.
You could search for other rescues, apart from the main ones.
You could advertise him in pet shops, newsagents, vets, with maybe a little bit of his sad story. (The vets might be a good idea ..... maybe somebody who's lost their long time furry companion?)
You could/should go back to CP and RSPCA. Tell them puss is safe for now but needs to come to them, or go straight to a new home, soon.

Others will be along with more (prob much better) ideas soon.

(Good to hear from you by the way. I was only wondering recently how things were with the kittens? Perhaps you'll post and let us know)

Good luck

yvonne
27-10-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm in bits, no one sees any of this as their problem.
I have taken in the son (he is a lovely lad that sadley this has happened to before)
The parents are hopeless.
I work with a co-ordinator for cat protection league but she is full.
The area they were living in has answerphone on saying call tonight between 7 and 9.
other local charity is chock a block.
Afraid the rspca will put him down, but I really can't take him, not just wont, I have him here now but it looks like a war zone, My own cats have had to be shut out and I am torn to shreds!
He is an entire Tom cat so I suppose my cats feel very uneasy with him,
Really need a temp. home for him whilst Dad and Son sort out accomodation.

Mags
27-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Oh dear what a situation! I'm afraid I can't think of anymore to add to Emm's and DM's suggestions but I'd like to wish you all the luck in the world getting this sorted out.....

Moli
27-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Not an ideal answer, but can you shut hm in a room on his own, until you find somewhere for him to go?

yvonne
27-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Not an ideal answer, but can you shut hm in a room on his own, until you find somewhere for him to go?

With the help of two blankets and more blood shed I have got him into a cat carrier.
Not ideal but I have now got him shut in a bedroom. What the heck I can do with him from here I don't know.
I'm sitting here in tears because I don't know where else to turn.
I must have rung 20 numbers today and no one wants to take him.
He is one ANGRY cat but I suppose he must be a kitty when he settles down?
Its just so frustrating, I have enough with taking in another teenager lol
I really wish I didn't care too much.
arrrgh wallowing self pitying post!

Mags
27-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Yvonne, we all feel for you in this situation.....pour out all your worries and concerns as we are here to listen and try to help you......also it will make you feel easier knowing that you are sharing it. We care very much for you and this unfortunate cat and hopefully someone on here may be able to come up with a better or more suitable suggestion for you soon. ((((hugs))))x

yvonne
27-10-2006, 07:25 PM
No one will take him, the poor thing is still in a cat carrier, he wont let any one near him. Its heartbreaking, my partner is now home from work and is carrying on the 'phone calling.
He can't sit in a box much longer and I can't let him out!
I have as a last resort got the caravan kitted out with food, water and cat litter for the night and he will have to go in there.
Not great but maybe better out on the streets as he is miles from home.

Moli
27-10-2006, 09:32 PM
It sounds perfect...He will probably calm down in there...

dandysmom
27-10-2006, 09:44 PM
That should work out for the interem; hope you can get someone.anyone to help this poor cat; you've gone full out for him!! Please keep us posted, (((hugs)))

Kazz
27-10-2006, 10:25 PM
I supose the lad and his Dad don;t have a lot of money otherwise I'd suggest putting him in a cattery - but the caravan sounds a better idea than the carrier but not ideal in the long run especialy an entire tom he may well spray your caraven.

No suggestions - but hope someone can help do you listen to WM there is a chap who runs an animal rescue and pops on there from time to time Ray Deddicote I think, he is called he may be able to help short term.

Karen

EmmaG
27-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Yvonne, any chance of borrowing a large dog crate?? this is what I put the grey stray I caught in, although not ideal it could mean that for a week or so he could come indoors and your cats couldn't hurt him or him hurt them. Shame you didn't live nearly or I would lend you my mums crate.

alexgirl73
27-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Yvonne, lots of sympathy for you! NO words of wisdom for you, but I hope you manage to find a solution soon (((hugs)))

yvonne
27-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Hi,

at about 9 o clock managed to get a local Wolverhampton rescue to take him. Not ideal they had loads of cats/kittens/fish etc in one small house. feel like poo basicly for leaving him there even though we gave them 42 pounds to have him neutered on monday and asked if the boy and his dad could have him back when/if they find somewhere to live.
Wish I could have done more but......... anyone want a spare 15 year old boy?
human that is.
Still nursing injuries(right hand is very swollen) few glasses of wine might see that ok.
Thanks agan for all suggestions, and again if any one in my area feels the need to take on a very very large tabby and white cat that will be neuteredd on monday but has slight!! aggresive tendancies towards other cats please message me!

alexgirl73
27-10-2006, 10:43 PM
oh Yvonne! Dont feel bad about this, you have done all you possibly can for him. I'm sure he'll be fine where he is and hopefully the dad and son can find somewhere soon and they can all be reunited.

EmmaG
27-10-2006, 10:49 PM
I am sure Yvonne that he was just a bit scared, poor boy!!! I personally think you have done a great job and you deserve a pat on the back!!

Mags
27-10-2006, 10:49 PM
You have found him somewhere to go Yvonne, that's the main thing......he is going to be neutered on Monday.......let things happen one step at a time now and I'm sure everything will work out for him. Hopefully Dad and son can find somewhere soon and then take him back.

Full marks to you for doing your best for him!

yvonne
27-10-2006, 11:10 PM
still feel awful for leaving him there, it seemed official and had to sign papers etc. but it just seemed so......... dirty?
it was a small terraced house and there must have been 15 cats and at least 4 dogs,
2 fish tanks and the lady was saying the took things like chinchillas too.
shouldn't judge I know, at least she took him when no one else would. I would have loved to but my other cats really took against him.
Dad and his Son really don't have anywhere/money at the moment.
Can't remember who asked but Ray Dedicoat was one of my first calls but his phone is on answer phone (used to listen to nothing but wm when I didn't work) that's why I didn't expect much from the rspca!

Kazz
27-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Yeah that was me I think he picks up lots and lots of slack that man.
You did the best you could no one can do any more.

Karen

Emm
28-10-2006, 10:20 AM
don't feel bad - you did an amazing job for that cat! And you gave them money to get him neutered I know that awful way you feel when you take in a stray and then hand them over - but its for the best in the long run - you really did do an amazing job far more than most would ever do.

Take care of your hand - are you up to date with your tetanus jabs cats scratches can be quite bad.

dinahsmum
28-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Hope you're feeling better this morning Yvonne. You really played a blinder you know - please don't beat yourself up. Now everyone has a breathing space, the puss is going to lose his 'angry marbles' and will hopefully become much more placid and as for the boy and dad ..... well, surely things can only get better for them.
Well done!

sweetmimi
28-10-2006, 11:31 AM
aww poor you and poor cats as well You have done all that you could do as he would not settle with yours and upset all round.
Maybe he will be calmer once he has lost his mink earings, but I think it takes up to 3 months for the hormones to settle down.
I think I would put an ad in the local vets and see if anyone who does not have a cat or has just lost their cat Someone might just be out there and would love him to bits.

Sweet
28-10-2006, 01:33 PM
((((((hugs))))) you have gave your love x

yvonne
30-10-2006, 10:50 PM
aww poor you and poor cats as well You have done all that you could do as he would not settle with yours and upset all round.
Maybe he will be calmer once he has lost his mink earings, but I think it takes up to 3 months for the hormones to settle down.
I think I would put an ad in the local vets and see if anyone who does not have a cat or has just lost their cat Someone might just be out there and would love him to bits.

do you know that seems such a good idea now i have had chance to review the sittuation.
The lad really would like to keep his cat once he and his Dad find somewhere else to live, and I know from what the Boy has said from visiting his Mum in hospital that she is upset at losing him.
Since its such a small charity? not sure what it is to be honest, maybe if I help pay them to keep him for a few weeks then they wont rehome him?
If not I prefer your idea of advertising for a good home, the other cats the home I took him to seem, I don't know more lost causes? cats noone might want to take.
Smudge is just (apart from atitude problem) such a HUGE bear of a cat. all long hair and well MASSIVE.I have never ever seen such a big cat that isn't just fat(no fat on him just a bruiser)
I have tried to 'phone tonight to see how his little op. went but there was no answer.
Why oh why do we get so involved?

Moli
30-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Because we are true animal lovers....Maybe they would keep him in foster,I am sure if you pay for his keep, they would not object to it.. until either he can go back to his mum & dad, or you can find him his forever home...