PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Sort Out A Biting Cat?

bodhicat
09-10-2006, 07:27 AM
My cat has recently started biting, and I know it's only because she's in a playful mood, but how can I stop her attacking my hands, face and legs? She's a lovely natured cat, just apart from when she's playful and with you? Thanks

Sweet
09-10-2006, 09:15 AM
I am not sure ......hopefully someone on here will be able to help you more x

yola
09-10-2006, 09:18 AM
Try stopping playing with her when she gets too boistrous with a firm 'No'. My cats understand that word now - it just takes time. Alternatively keep a water spary bottle handy and just give her a quick squirt of water when the teeth and claws come out.

If she manages to play with you without biting or scratching give her a little treat. Carrot and stick . . . works with kids AND pets ;)

Oh, and welcome to Catsey by the way!! :-D

bodhicat
09-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Thank you, sounds like excellent advice - will definitely try the water spray thing! Thanks, for the welcome, what an excellent website!

Mags
09-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi Bodhicat! http://www.cosgan.de/images/more/flowers/043.gif
to Catsey!

I have nothing to add to Yola's good advice above....I hope it works for you:D

Looking forward to chatting to you more and hearing how how you are getting on with your cat. Also......we love to see photos of cats!;):D

yola
09-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Yes, please do let us know how you get on . . . and stick around for a chat if you have a moment or two!!!

Donna
09-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Agree with the water spray - I used it to stop my cat climbing my curtains and going up the chimney!!!

~Welcome to the site as well!

dandysmom
09-10-2006, 08:40 PM
I've never tried the water spray; when mine got to using claws and teeth when playing I would yell "Ouch! No! and immediately stop playing, Being smart cats, they soon caught on: rough play = no more game. Welcome to Catsey. hope you will stick around!

Elaine
10-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Ideally the cat shouldnt be able to see that the water spray has come from you. If at all possible it should be seen by the cat as more of an action/consequence kinda thing for it to be most effective.
Oh and Hello, look forward to chatting with you. Your name sounds familliar are you a member of any other cat forums?