PDA

View Full Version : Heart Murmur

Rosie
02-10-2006, 09:33 AM
Little Alfie was neutered on Friday and they discovered he had a heart murmur. They said that many cats have it and can live without any symptoms.

Does anyone here have any information for me as I am obviously concerned for my little boy.

dinahsmum
02-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Poor Alfie! But I don't think it's such an awful thing and I'm sure there are people with cats with murmers - just can't think who at the moment.
It doesn't seem to hold him back with his adventuring though.

Kazz
02-10-2006, 01:17 PM
My Oscar had a heart murmur the vet said he had had it for many years possibly since being a kitten I understand it is graded 1 - 6 and from what I understood signs to looks out for are showing other signs of heart problems, for example a cardiac cough, lethargy, poor appitite or fluid in the lung/heart area.

A vet can grade your heart murmur by listening with a stethiscope, so ask them.

The good point being many cats with heart murmurs live long happy and healthy lives like my Oz who was 23 years and 4 months when he was PTS.

For all I know he had a heart murmur all his life I mean when he was neutured (his only real contact with the vet in his first 18 years :) ) no one mentioned it but there again back in the early 80's I am not sure they mentioned lots about your animals health. The vet mentioned it off handedly as if I knew so I imagine it was not a shock to them - maybe they thoght I knew.

Anyhow it never bothered him I imagine if it were serious - serious you would have noticed some signs by now as he is so active as an older kitten.

Ask your vet. I hope all is well, and sure it is.

Karen

hamish
03-10-2006, 10:40 PM
My latest addition Keira was rehomed from the SSPCA, she was only 13 weeks when i got her and she had a grade 3/4 mechanical heart murmur. When she was seen by the same vet that the SSPCA use for her 2nd vaccination 4 weeks later the murmur had completely gone. I know some one whos elderly horse had a grade 6 which is very serious but carried on for a few more years.

Liz
04-10-2006, 08:09 AM
We have Phoenix who is now 4 and he has a heart murmer but no tablets in fact vets were not hopeful he would live lo and behold my long haired fluffy ginger is now 4 and pacing himself.

Bert who is 21 at Christmas was found to have a heart murmer at his July checkup - add in his age, he's blind, blood disorder and arthritus and they find something lse, he is a grand old boy who survic=ed the move and mastered the stairs in the new house, goes out and is enjoying life to the full. As a youngster I,m sure he will be fine and dictate all he needs and wants!!!!

Kim
04-10-2006, 09:59 PM
My dog Ben had a heart murmur and it didn't cause him any problems at all. I don't know what grade is was though. Probabaly a good idea to ask you vet and find out a little more. Hope he is okay!

John
11-01-2008, 02:27 PM
My Millie is now 12 years old and has had a murmur all her life..one of her kittens eleven years ago was found to have a heart murmur and is still alive and active

babycakes
11-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Poor Alfie sorry to hear this X

dinahsmum
11-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Alfie's fine - or he was last time we heard from Rosie.
This is an old thread (Oct 2006) which must have come up with the recent heart murmur query

catsinc4
01-02-2008, 12:05 AM
tia has a very impressive heart murmur we discovered after i rescued her and took her to be checked out.vet didnt say what grade just"oh wow thats an impressive murmur!"shes had 7 generals when she broke her leg and is fit and healthy.

CrAzy Mii
28-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Our cat Flame is a Ginger Dollfaced Persian,he's a year old and he's really lovely!! About half a year ago, he went to the vet for a check up, where we were told he had a very strong heart murmur:(:(!! He's fine though, but because of his heart murmur he was not allowed to be nuterd :(:(!! If anything his murmur just makes him more huggly:):), because it slows him down!! Yes as far as we know he's living life to the full and at least he's happy while he's got the chance:):)!!

borderdawn
29-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Our cat Flame is a Ginger Dollfaced Persian,he's a year old and he's really lovely!! About half a year ago, he went to the vet for a check up, where we were told he had a very strong heart murmur:(:(!! He's fine though, but because of his heart murmur he was not allowed to be nuterd :(:(!! If anything his murmur just makes him more huggly:):), because it slows him down!! Yes as far as we know he's living life to the full and at least he's happy while he's got the chance:):)!!
He isnt the father of the kittens is he?

CrAzy Mii 2
29-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Nope he's not the father of the kittens! He's Tigerlily's Brother and he's not that active! The father of the kittens is a cat down our road we call puss a black and white tom!