PDA

View Full Version : Fox about

John
26-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Last night about 23.30pm I fed the two cats< belonging to a neighbour > that are out all the time. went to go to bed .looked out of the bedroom window to see this huge fox were I had just fed the two cats.I have never seen it before and we have never been troubled with foxes before.so now I have to keep my cat Mille in at night as she,s white and stands out in the dark .I just hope the other two cats will be alright and the fox is not a regular visitor.. .

good fox repelant wanted:roll: :roll: :smt071 :smt071 :smt071

John

yola
26-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Hmmm. That's a worry. My Mum's cat was attacked and bitten by a fox several years ago and succumbed to septacaemia :( Not sure what will repel them to be honest . . . and although cute to look at they are a darned nuisance :mad:

Az
26-08-2006, 01:55 PM
I think the only thing will work is secure fencing. If it is less than six foot tall the cats will generally be able to get in ok... Foxes aren't as nimble as cats :mrgreen:

borderdawn
26-08-2006, 02:05 PM
A healthy Cat will usually not be troubled by a Fox, but it can happen, and its usually the urban Foxes as they are the ones behaving abnormally. Put it this way, if I saw one of my Cats in the street in close proximity to a Fox, I wouldnt be too concerned.
Dawn.

Kazz
26-08-2006, 06:17 PM
We have foxes in the street and they have never concerned me with the cats, not even now Cleo is old wouldn't be too keen on a kitten being around them but then not to bothered.
My Oz yused to sit in the road outside with afox sitting or walking across from him neither appeared to bat an eye.

What irtritates me more with foxes is some of the urban ones you see obviously have mange. Poor devils.

Kim
26-08-2006, 07:36 PM
We regularly used to feed 2 foxes and they never ever bothered the cats. In fact Misty would sometimes chase them off.

Kazz
26-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Now you see thats someting I wouldn't do feed foxes but I live in a city (pretty much) and somehow the foxes in towns look different to me than those in the countryside - maybe its me or maybe they are changing to adapt to their circumstances.

Karen

borderdawn
26-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Now you see thats someting I wouldn't do feed foxes but I live in a city (pretty much) and somehow the foxes in towns look different to me than those in the countryside - maybe its me or maybe they are changing to adapt to their circumstances.

Karen

Urban Foxes are a far cry from their country cousins, living in false habitats, they are usually thin, mangey and their coats are dreadful in comparison.
Dawn.

dandysmom
26-08-2006, 08:03 PM
I see urban foxes here from time to time, we're only a few blocks from the woods. They look pretty well-nourished,,,there are rabbits & bob-whites in the woods & meadow as well as mice, etc. Have never heard of one of them attacking a cat here....although I would be nervous about a kitten if I let it run loose....

John
27-08-2006, 10:00 AM
thanks for all your replys .I will not feel so nervous bout letting millie out on a night now.I did look out of the window last nite about 12,30 and millie and a fox were looking at each other about 15ft away,made me dash down stairs and chase the fox away.<not very easy to do when Ive had a few ciders>:roll: :roll: shes got a catflap that she can come and go as she pleases.she gets very irate if its block up, ....I hope you all have a good weekend

John

borderdawn
27-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks John, Im sure Millie can look after herself.
Dawn.

Kim
27-08-2006, 06:01 PM

Karen

I respect what you say Kazz.

We have never had any trouble with the foxes being aggressive, they don't leave a mess and it recycles the left over cat/dog food! I have never seen a rat either, would hate to think I was attracting them. It can't be easy for urban foxes finding food and although I know they can be a pest, they have a need to survive too. :-D

Sweet
27-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Just catching up......

I had a fox in my back garden a while back, I was un easy at first got the cats in and neighbours cat in.

I havnt seen it for a while now though and I think all would be ok.

Now when I had ducks.......that was another matter! x