PDA

View Full Version : Cat Litter - which is best?

Amanda
15-08-2006, 05:05 PM
having scoured our local pet stores for environmentally friendly, deodorising cat litter, I was a little overwhelmed to say the least. So which would you recommend?

Mags
15-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Amanda, here is a link to a previous discussion we have had on cat litter....I hope you find it helpful http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/showthread.php?t=2314

Amanda
15-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Amanda, here is a link to a previous discussion we have had on cat litter....I hope you find it helpful http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/showthread.php?t=2314

thanks Mags,
it sort of helped, but I'm still confused regarding the 'clumping' sort and the non clumping sort. Why is one beneficial over the other?

I did however find a useful tip about the covered litter tray. I have one with a lip around the edge and she's still managing to kick it all over the bedroom floor :roll:

Mags
15-08-2006, 07:27 PM
With the clumping sort it is easier to remove just the soiled area of litter in one go...it all binds together!;)

I find the covered litter tray much better than the open tray type....not only is it cleaner, it also hides most smells....:D

Amanda
15-08-2006, 07:40 PM
With the clumping sort it is easier to remove just the soiled area of litter in one go...it all binds together!;)

I find the covered litter tray much better than the open tray type....not only is it cleaner, it also hides most smells....:D

its common sense, now you've said that..sorry :oops:
I think we have the non-clumping sort at the moment, and its OKish, but as we're very new to this, I'm not sure if this is the best one for us. We're clearing solids from it as soon as she has been in it, which is keeping the smell down, but definatley worth looking for a covered one. Sadly I haven't found one in our local shops and was considering using her carrier as a subsitute, with the tray inside. Do you think that would work?

CathyW
15-08-2006, 08:31 PM
its common sense, now you've said that..sorry :oops:
I think we have the non-clumping sort at the moment, and its OKish, but as we're very new to this, I'm not sure if this is the best one for us. We're clearing solids from it as soon as she has been in it, which is keeping the smell down, but definatley worth looking for a covered one. Sadly I haven't found one in our local shops and was considering using her carrier as a subsitute, with the tray inside. Do you think that would work?only thing is when u have to take her to somewhere she would use it as a toilet.
we bought ours from argos if thats any good.

Amanda
15-08-2006, 09:01 PM
only thing is when u have to take her to somewhere she would use it as a toilet.
we bought ours from argos if thats any good.

See, I told you I was new to this :lol:
Thanks boysmum. I'd never thought of trying there, so will pop in tomorrow and see if they have any in stock :D

Mags
15-08-2006, 09:13 PM
We got ours from Argos as well!:lol:

Naomi
16-08-2006, 08:24 AM
We're using Tesco's Premium Lightweight cat litter now with our remaining 2. It's non clumping so when you empty the litter tray you can shake the cat litter through the scoop and be left with the 'solid' stuff. It's great and you don't use quite so much either. Just top it up/replace every couple of days :D

My 2 love it altho it does make their little white paws go a very subtle shade of pink :lol:

It does get kicked all over the place and I'm sure the kittens are flicking it at each other as a game :D

CJK
16-08-2006, 08:29 AM
got my litter tray from argos too!!

I personally use wood based cat litter or worlds best. Worlds best is great, but pricey. Although it is good for environment, fluashable, and you only change the whole thing once a month. In between you just scoop the used stuff out, and top it up.
It doesnt smell, even after a month.

I presonally hate the cheap gravely type, it smells bad quickly, and doenst last long, so is a false econmoy, just end up using more of it. and my cats dont like it either.

Naomi
16-08-2006, 08:38 AM
I've seen Worlds Best about but hadn't tried it, tbh didn't like the price but if it does last that long it maybe worth a try with my next lot of foster kitty's

Amanda
16-08-2006, 07:50 PM
got my litter tray from argos too!!

I personally use wood based cat litter or worlds best. Worlds best is great, but pricey. Although it is good for environment, fluashable, and you only change the whole thing once a month. In between you just scoop the used stuff out, and top it up.
It doesnt smell, even after a month.

I presonally hate the cheap gravely type, it smells bad quickly, and doenst last long, so is a false econmoy, just end up using more of it. and my cats dont like it either.

Flushable sounds great :D As at the moment, I'm putting the solid waste into a nappy sack for fear of blocking the loo with the gravel. I haven't seen that brand yet (but there were just so many, so may have done), so will have another look tomorrow. Environmentally friendly stuff is definately something that I wanted to use, and that worldsbest sounds perfect.

Well I never made it up to Argos, so she'll just have to spread it all over the carpet.:lol:
i'm using sophisticat at the moment and It is smelling a little bit, (and just after 3 days I'm not chuffed to say the least), so have put a whole fresh batch in today.:?

Thanks for the advice everyone :D

CJK
17-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Worlds best DOES last a lot longer than other brands TBH, and When you work it out doesnt work out that much more expensive than the cheap gravely type.
It was like i said to my brother, i order WB in bulk, when I get it. Costs me jsut under £40 and that lasts me 3 months roughly, maybe a little longer.

The cheap netto stuff my brother buys is 1.09 a bag. he has four cats, and uses two or three bags a WEEK, costing 3.27 a week. Multiply that over 12 weeks is £39.24

I cant remeber exact cost of worlds best, i think it is £37 something, so might even be a little chaper in the long run.

My brother had now switched and says he doesnt know why he ever used the gravely stuff!

they do have a website you can order from, and if you order in bulk you get free next day delivery.
The lady who does the orders (dawn) is lovely, and will help you out if you need help.

THE wood based ones is avaiable from catalogues like jd williams / ambrose wilson, at 5.79 for 30 litres!!!!!!!! ANd reasonable postage. Costs me 13.99 (i think) for 60 litres at a time of wood based, although it isnt flushable. (or at elast I dont think so)

Booktigger
17-08-2006, 01:09 PM
In regards to Sophisticat, I would actually change every other day. I am (unfortunately) using it at the moment, I prefer clumping, but it was getting too much work with 3 using one tray (they do have others, but typically the bedroom one is the fav). The rescue I foster for use woodbased, but Ginger would rather poo behind the TV than use pellet types, so unless I can get my head round the large outlay for WB, I am stuck with gravelly types.

Amanda
17-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Worlds best DOES last a lot longer than other brands TBH, and When you work it out doesnt work out that much more expensive than the cheap gravely type.
It was like i said to my brother, i order WB in bulk, when I get it. Costs me jsut under £40 and that lasts me 3 months roughly, maybe a little longer.

The cheap netto stuff my brother buys is 1.09 a bag. he has four cats, and uses two or three bags a WEEK, costing 3.27 a week. Multiply that over 12 weeks is £39.24

I cant remeber exact cost of worlds best, i think it is £37 something, so might even be a little chaper in the long run.

My brother had now switched and says he doesnt know why he ever used the gravely stuff!

they do have a website you can order from, and if you order in bulk you get free next day delivery.
The lady who does the orders (dawn) is lovely, and will help you out if you need help.

THE wood based ones is avaiable from catalogues like jd williams / ambrose wilson, at 5.79 for 30 litres!!!!!!!! ANd reasonable postage. Costs me 13.99 (i think) for 60 litres at a time of wood based, although it isnt flushable. (or at elast I dont think so)

great, thanks for the info :D
if its good on the environment, then i don't mind paying a little extra.

In regards to Sophisticat, I would actually change every other day. I am (unfortunately) using it at the moment, I prefer clumping, but it was getting too much work with 3 using one tray (they do have others, but typically the bedroom one is the fav). The rescue I foster for use woodbased, but Ginger would rather poo behind the TV than use pellet types, so unless I can get my head round the large outlay for WB, I am stuck with gravelly types.

I haven't got a lot of it left, but will do a complete change again tonight as hubby will go mad if he can smell it.
she has been great with her tray though and always seems to use it as soon as i enter the room :lol:
fingers crossed that it says that way

Mags
17-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Amanda, a bit off topic I know but did you use the Multi quote feature to make you reply?

Amanda
17-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Amanda, a bit off topic I know but did you use the Multi quote feature to make you reply?
yes hun :D
if you look at the thread you posted on it in forum support, i've tried to explain how to use it. just ask if you need further help

borderdawn
17-08-2006, 03:55 PM
I use the clumping Cat litter, easy to use, you can dispose of it easily, and it doesnt smell.
Dawn.

Amanda
17-08-2006, 04:31 PM
I use the clumping Cat litter, easy to use, you can dispose of it easily, and it doesnt smell.
Dawn.
what benefits have you found from using the clumping sort?

this sophisticat allows the urine to soak to the bottom, which probably explains why it smells after just a couple of uses.
i'm not fussed about cleaning each day-2 days, but i'm going to be using one heck of a lot of litter....

borderdawn
17-08-2006, 04:42 PM
hi Amanda.
With the clumping the urine is absorbed and forms a solid clump, so its easily removed, it sticks to poo and the odour is gone virtually immediately, again just scooped out, it doesnt leave any behind, so it doesnt smell. The one I use is called "Pettex" they have a website but it doesnt seem to be working!
Dawn.

Donna
17-08-2006, 05:02 PM
I use Catsan - as Chloe tends to use the bathroom mat otherwise!!

Booktigger
17-08-2006, 08:51 PM
i didn't try PEttex.
In response to CJ about the cost, I dont find that litter costs me all that much - but it could be cos mine do go outside too, and I am sure come winter I might not be saying the same thing!! At the moment, a 30l bag of Sophisticat is lasting me a month, and I was using about 30l a month with clumping as well, which is what made me change!! At the moment, I am getting my Sophisticat discounted, but the RRP is about £7 per bag, so that is roughly my monthly cost, and quite possibly not worth paying so much for WB (and one of my trays is downstairs, so wouldn't flush that). And I tend to only use 1 30l bag for the fosters too, the rescue must wonder at times, although I now have 3 fosters, so it might go down a bit quicker.

Amanda
18-08-2006, 03:26 AM
I use Catsan - as Chloe tends to use the bathroom mat otherwise!!

Oh heck, I can see why you won't change then. Thats a great hint for me to get her used to different brands then.

i didn't try PEttex.
In response to CJ about the cost, I dont find that litter costs me all that much - but it could be cos mine do go outside too, and I am sure come winter I might not be saying the same thing!! At the moment, a 30l bag of Sophisticat is lasting me a month, and I was using about 30l a month with clumping as well, which is what made me change!! At the moment, I am getting my Sophisticat discounted, but the RRP is about £7 per bag, so that is roughly my monthly cost, and quite possibly not worth paying so much for WB (and one of my trays is downstairs, so wouldn't flush that). And I tend to only use 1 30l bag for the fosters too, the rescue must wonder at times, although I now have 3 fosters, so it might go down a bit quicker.

:shock: You get sophisticat a lot cheaper than I did. Mine's only a small bag and I paid £4 for that. (I have used half of it now after just 4 days - 3 complete changes)

hi Amanda.
With the clumping the urine is absorbed and forms a solid clump, so its easily removed, it sticks to poo and the odour is gone virtually immediately, again just scooped out, it doesnt leave any behind, so it doesnt smell. The one I use is called "Pettex" they have a website but it doesnt seem to be working!
Dawn.

Thanks Dawn, :D

I'm going to be very busy trying different sorts at this rate. But if I can't keep her, then its probably best that I do that in anycase.

Nicola
23-08-2006, 11:41 AM
We use Biocatolet. My two love it and it doesn't go everywhere like the gravelly sorts. Also doesn't smell.

dinahsmum
23-08-2006, 02:54 PM
You could think of 'toilet training' - no need for litter then? http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=15234

yola
23-08-2006, 04:17 PM
I use Pettex. The fact taht it clumps is great as you can just scoop out the messy bits. I only clean out the litter trays fully about once a month - at the most - and there is little or no odour in between. I have 2 large trays used by 3 indoor cats :shock: 1 bag usually lasts about a week; cost for the bag is about £5.00 (probably available cheaper but I just go to my local pet shop). If I clean the trays out it usually takes 2 full bags to refill from empty.

The only downside of clumping is that (allegedy) it can be bad for kittens coz if they eat the littler it can clump in their innards. But tbh, I've used it since 2 of mine were kits and had no problem.

The litter goes straight in the wheelie bin inside of a sandwich bag (size dependent on effluent removed from tray :shock: ) so not sure exactly how eco-friendly that is!!!

Amanda
30-08-2006, 12:19 AM
We use Biocatolet. My two love it and it doesn't go everywhere like the gravelly sorts. Also doesn't smell.

I haven't heard of that one, and the gravel sorts do tend to spread a bit even in a covered litter tray..

You could think of 'toilet training' - no need for litter then? http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=15234
I found that :) fantastic idea :D

I use Pettex. The fact taht it clumps is great as you can just scoop out the messy bits. I only clean out the litter trays fully about once a month - at the most - and there is little or no odour in between. I have 2 large trays used by 3 indoor cats :shock: 1 bag usually lasts about a week; cost for the bag is about £5.00 (probably available cheaper but I just go to my local pet shop). If I clean the trays out it usually takes 2 full bags to refill from empty.

The only downside of clumping is that (allegedy) it can be bad for kittens coz if they eat the littler it can clump in their innards. But tbh, I've used it since 2 of mine were kits and had no problem.

The litter goes straight in the wheelie bin inside of a sandwich bag (size dependent on effluent removed from tray :shock: ) so not sure exactly how eco-friendly that is!!!

Cheers :D

Well we've moved away from the gravel sort and are now on woodbased. It took her a litle while to get used to it, so we mixed the two together before doing a complete switch. I've just got to try the clumping sort and the papery based ones now. So far, so good :D
When she's a bit older, then we'll prob try the toilet training, as that is a great idea and the best eco friendly one yet ;)