PDA

View Full Version : Catflap recommendations?

LMC
22-07-2006, 11:31 AM
I have a Staywell catflap with 4-way locking (lock both ways, lock in, lock out or open both ways). I *never* use the lock out.

Unfortunately, Snowy is a sneaky little madam and has worked out how to open the flap if I put it on "lock in" (which I do if I have to go to bed before I can get them in). Unfortunately, because she often leaves it on "lock out", I usually end up leaving the cat flap open both ways :roll:

This morning, my bad new boy was rattling away at the cat flap and there was a crashing noise and I raced out from the living room to see the back end of a cat rapidly disappearing out of the destroyed catflap. I caught him and he's now sulking upstairs, and I've put the catflap back together again.

I need a stronger catflap!

I don't want a magnetic one a) because my girls lose collars for a past time and I would hate them to be stuck outside and b) because I've heard that a quick cat can get in behind the cat with the mag collar and I don't want the local bully to end up locked up inside the house.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks

dinahsmum
22-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Good question - hope someone can give you a useful answer. Sorry I can't. :?

Snoof
22-07-2006, 11:44 AM
They make them now so only a cat with a specified microchip can get in... Can't remember what they're called, but maybe you could find an appropriate Google? I don't know if you can also have it made so cats who shouldn't get in also can't get out, but you never know.

Hreow
22-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Can't you set it to always open for cats leaving, but only let the "right" cat in? Not sure about the modes in cat-flaps. Never actually had one...

Donna
23-07-2006, 08:31 AM
I have the same problem. I have a four way magnetic flap, but the local bully cat got in one night and there was chaos at 2am!!!

I now lock the flap securely of a night and when I am not around and open it when I am in. The flap is tied open when i am around and the magnetic bit taped down so they dont need their magnets on their collars any more. This had to be done for Misty who after two years STILL cannot use a catflap!!!

Mags
23-07-2006, 10:22 AM
I have a Staywell 4 way with a see through flap. When Cassie is in and the flap is locked I always put a big plastic box against the flap......that way Cassie can't see outside so doesn't try to get out......also it stops the other cats from looking in:cat33

LMC
24-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Well, all 4 girls came in on Saturday afternoon :shock: - unheard of!

So I locked the catflap and barricaded it with both cat carriers - the smaller one inside the larger one. Very heavy.

Trotted out to the corner shop - I was gone, ooooh, maybe 20 minutes? Came back and found that that wicked wicked boy had managed to move the carriers and literally smashed through the cat flap - the clear door bit is broken and I can't reattach it, so I now have a nice big hole in my back door :lol:

After romping round the garden for a couple of hours, he came back in - I was worried in case there was a girl in season somewhere close by, 'cos he's not going for his snip until Thursday.

Annoyed that I shall have to buy another Staywell as an emergency measure while I research others though - may need to get a professional to fit another type of flap :(

In the meantime, Naughty Boy is so grounded (shut upstairs while back door is, er, insecure). He spent this morning tearing round the upstairs :lol:

Rosie
24-07-2006, 11:28 AM
I just have one of the in/out basic types because I HAVE A DOG!:D Sorry to sound smug but we never get any unwanted visitors in our house. Rosie and Alfie can come and go as they please. Having said that this is a good source of info
http://www.catflaps.co.uk/index.html?rid=google&lang=en-uk&target=front.html&lmd=38490.745243

Mags
24-07-2006, 11:58 AM
I just have one of the in/out basic types because I HAVE A DOG!:D Sorry to sound smug but we never get any unwanted visitors in our house. Rosie and Alfie can come and go as they please. Having said that this is a good source of info
http://www.catflaps.co.uk/index.html?rid=google&lang=en-uk&target=front.html&lmd=38490.745243

The aluminium flap looks strong on that site Rosie.......bit of a steep price though. I suppose it is worth it if it does the job properly.....:)