PDA

View Full Version : Aftereffects of neutering (boy)

LMC
18-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Well, Boy (temporary name still, sorry :oops: ) is going in for the snip next Thursday (27th). That means I can let him out at the weekend at last - he's dying to go into the garden bless 'im.

He had his jabs on Saturday and spent most of Sunday sleeping under the bed and being a bit grumpy and anti-social (back to his normal bright and energetic self yesterday though!) More pics later hopefully.

I've not had a male cat since the family cat when I was a child. So not really sure what to expect in terms of aftereffects, if any - any advice on what to look out for?

Thanks

dinahsmum
18-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Don't think there should be any.
They don't have stitches do they?
Once he's over the anaesthetic he should be better than new.

Hreow
18-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Don't think you will notice much difference, really. Some toms would calm down, be less agressive, smell less bad, but since yours is a big softie really to start with, I think you'll just get the last effect.
Rover was quiet for about half an hour after he got home, then back to bouncing off the walls. I was told to "keep him quiet for a bit", but I don't see how he could really put any strain of the operation-site without some serious splits, so I left him to his usual antics. He would have been more stressed out in his travel-case than doing his usual thing. Half-an-eye kept on him should be enough, same as after any anaesthesia.

Luke
18-07-2006, 10:05 AM
One of our old toms (sherman) was marching around like a sherman tank (thus his name) and bossing the dogs about after being home about an hour-think the tom's don't seem to 'notice' that much!

Moli
18-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Didn't see any difference in any of my 4 boys after neutering.....

Fran
18-07-2006, 04:51 PM
As long as both his testicle are descended, it's usually a very routine op. They don't usually have stitches either so other than the area being a bit tender for a couple of days or so there is really nothing to worry about.