PDA

View Full Version : Wedding rings /anniversary

CJK
03-07-2006, 12:37 PM
On august 2nd it'll be our third wedding anniversary.
Although we're seperated we still buy each other cards n small gifts. (not one other person in his or my fmaily EVER has done)

Hubby lost his original wedding ring about 18 months ago, he took it off to do some engine work and lsot it.

Do you think it would be nice to buy him a new one for our anniversary?
I was thinking of getting a personalised one, seen one i like that already ahs "i love you" in it and i can add a name ( mine I assume)

Just wasnt sure if it would be a suitable anniversary gift or not, and as we are still together and working on getting back together it really rather annoys me that he doenst have a ring to wear, and of course he wouldnt think to replace it himself lol

Nicola
03-07-2006, 12:43 PM
I wouldn't get a ring as you are not actually back together yet. I think it would mean more if you got him one when you do actually get back together. (like making another commitment).
Just get him something simple but nice. Not sure what they suggest for 3 years. When me and my OH had the wood one I bought something little made of wood and he loved it.

yola
03-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Hmmm. I think it might be a nice gesture, but as I don't know either your or hubby personally I can't comment on whether he might think it a bit 'previous' seeing as you're still separated.

I think, if it were me that I would be flattered someone is making the effort, and the symbolic act of buying a wedding ring speaks volumes of your commitment. However, I'd maybe temper that with saying 'wear it on a finger other than your wedding ring finger until you know we're back together for good'. It'd be an excellent incentive for him to work towards moving that ring back onto the special finger.

Nicola
03-07-2006, 12:55 PM
But then you DID say that he hasn't exactly been very helpful when you have been unwell. Hope I haven't offended you but you did ask for opinions.

CJK
03-07-2006, 01:06 PM
i dont think he would see it as being a bit previous.
It's hard to know what to get him, I did buy him a second hand golf trolley and bag he wanted at the weekend, and as he didnt want to take it from me suggested it be for our anniversary, but I'd like to get him soemthing he doesnt know about. And didnt know if this was a good idea.

I still wear my rings, as we are still married. He has said he would wear his if he still had it.

He doesnt wear any other jewellary, not even watches, and wouldnt wear it, brought him in the past.

LAst year he got me a bottle of red wine and a bottle of white,flowers , diabetic choccies,and a dvd i had been wanting for ages, so he put some thought into it.

Men are SO hard to pick gifts for anyway. He has tonnes of aftershave, rarely wears it.

Clothes just dont seem personal enough for a wedding anniversary. He doesnt eat chocolate...and he's got everything else i ever think of!

Women are so much easier, flowers or choccies and theyre happy lol.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?
I realise you dont know waht he lieks etc,

computers (got everything)
golf (just starting out)
films - seen all latest ones.

Mags
03-07-2006, 01:08 PM
I personally wouldn't buy another wedding ring until he made the committment and was living with you again Carly...:?

How about a chain?

CJK
03-07-2006, 01:10 PM
I brought him a chunky silver chain last year, three weeks later his mumw ent out and brought him exactly the same chain!

he doesnt wear either of them anyway.

I could bully him into wearing one lol

he's just a difficult sod lol

Nicola
and a ball to go with it:lol: (sorry couldn't resist)

CJK
mind you, there are some lovely chains and i could get him a special one, not an everyday one

Mags
03-07-2006, 01:12 PM
As he is interested in golf....how about a book on golf, there are loads to choose from.....

Nicola
03-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Traditional gift for 3rd anniversary is leather (oo-er) and the modern is crystal or glass. Maybe a leather whip;) :lol:

CJK
03-07-2006, 01:18 PM
thats an idea! he is just starting out, only been palying about a month, sot hat could be something usefull to him too.

maybe a nice yellow sweater n cap and briches :-) (now that I CANT imagine!!!!)

and maybe some personailised balls. >golf balls that is!

CJK
03-07-2006, 01:20 PM
or, maybe i can find a chain with a golf ball or club on it? Give him the book too, cos i still like that idea.

yola
03-07-2006, 01:22 PM
What about a golf lesson or 2? Golf clubs will usually do vouchers . . .

CJK
03-07-2006, 01:25 PM
right, i dont think much of argos.

have you seen there little bit to choose a gift, where you put in who it for (him her kids) what age,w aht price etc?

Well FOR HIM it suggests a nursing maternity pillow :shock:
as well as a silver plated baby gift set ?!?!?!:roll:

but it does also suggest a few golf things.

i think I will put him together a bunch of golf stuff.

thanks for the help!!!!!

CJK
03-07-2006, 01:26 PM
oh, hadnt thought of a golf lesson yola! what a good idea! we have a club within 10 minutes drive of us.
Oh now that IS an idea I like, think I'll look into that!!
arent you lot clever! (unlike me :-))

Nicola
03-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Golf lessons sound better. A chain with a golf club on sounds a bit naff IMHO. You can get those little leather wallets that hold tees and get the wallet personalised.

Donna
03-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Being the cynical person I am, I would question whether he "accidently on purpose" lost the original ring???

As you are separated and he isnt very forthcoming with helping or visiting, I would question whether he is not really interested in getting back with you so the ring would be the wrong thing to buy.

I would go with a jokey kinda present.

Nicola
03-07-2006, 05:25 PM
I thought the same about the ring but didn't want to offend:( but Donna has said what I was thinking.

Sweet
03-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Let us know what you decide Carly x

Fran
03-07-2006, 10:31 PM
I think the golf lessons or golf bits and pieces are an excellent idea! Let us know what you decide to get him and I hope you have a very lovely wedding anniversary Carly x

CJK
04-07-2006, 07:24 AM
decided a course of golf lessons cost more than i wanna spend on him, we never spend a lot one ach other, we dont see the point.
So am going to get him a gift voucher from a local golf club, and maybe a new club, he hasnt got a whole set yet and apparantly there are some sales around at the moemnt, so weekend after next we're going looking.

He asked me what i wanted and laughed when i said a treadmill!!! but i would rather have something practical