PDA

View Full Version : Don't think Bright-water and Lightning aren't eating enough

SillyTilly
02-07-2006, 08:00 PM
According to the feed bag my two should be eating between 90 and 100g per day (between the two of them). I weigh this out each night and just keep their food bowl topped up with food during the next 24hrs.

But for the last three days they've not eaten the 100g. Probably closer to 70g.

Should I be worrying? WHat can I do to encourage them to eat more? I'm trying to always to keep food down because I'm at work all day, so it's not really possible to feed them four times a day.

Cheers

Olivia

Hreow
02-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Dry food? You could possibly give them some wet when you're at home (it goes bad quickly). I wouldn't worry if they're playful and chirpy.
You could try weighing the kittens as well. They may do well on less than average.

Donna
02-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Most cat foods say they should eat more than they actually do. My cats have never eaten the "daily recommended amount".

They have dry food down all day and some fish or chicken in the evening. I have one big cat and one that is quite tiny but have stopped worrying about their eating.

They wont starve themselves and they are happy and healthy!

LMC
02-07-2006, 09:38 PM
It's hot too, which will mean they eat less.

As long as they are drinking enough and are happy in themselves, don't worry about it - no healthy cat will starve itself!

Moli
02-07-2006, 09:57 PM
I feed mine the same as Donna, they always have biscuits in their dish, and have some kind of meat at night..None of mine are overweight..

Moggz
03-07-2006, 07:47 AM
The food is available to them - so they will eat what they want, no more no less. No 2 cats eat the same amount. As LMC says - it is very warm, all of mine are eating less atm.

Also, is the recomended feeding amount to be aside from wet food? are you feeding them wet food too?

**I had to snigger when I saw this post, I know Olivia of old - and shes such a worrier, but a fab mummy to her rats, and now will be to her kitties**

dinahsmum
03-07-2006, 07:53 AM
I agree that the recommendations on the packets are usually too high - no wonder we have fat pets!

Fran
03-07-2006, 07:57 AM
I wouldn't be worried in the slightest. All cats are different and the amounts on the packet are just a guide and generally err on the high side of what they need. Some of my cats eat a lot and some seem to survive on very little. Some of mine prefer wet food and others prefer the dry food, so I would be inclined to offer both so they have a choice. This hot weather is likely to affect their appetites plus you have to remember they are still settling in and finding their feet. Try not to worry and enjoy them ;)

ceiron
03-07-2006, 07:18 PM
cats arent like dogs and will only eat what they need and so dont be worried.

as sadid reccomendations are way too high imo

esp about pouches.

Snoof
03-07-2006, 09:18 PM
I don't think a single one of my cats eats the daily recommended allowance, except for Jigsaw, who also makes up for all the stuff Sweep and Ninja don't eat :lol:

Hreow
03-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Neat and tidy and no wash for you, then. ;-)

SillyTilly
03-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys - I'll stop worrying now (well for the next three seconds until I find something else to stress about!!!).

My guys aren't getting any wet food at the moment, and hopefully won't be having any. I find wet food very nauseating, and as long as the cats can be healthy and happy without it they won't be getting any. It'll be occasional treats of pure tuna, chicken, fish etc for them.

Thanks

Olivia

Booktigger
04-07-2006, 08:38 PM
ARe they male or female (sorry I haven't read their background). If you are goign to keep them on dry food only, you have to make sure they have enough water to drink to make sure they dont have any urinary probs if they are male, and I would also worry about their kidneys on a dry food only diet. Also, what kind of biscuits do you use?

SillyTilly
04-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi,
They are both male. I've been keeping an eye on how much they drink and they seem to be taking a reasonable amount in.

I've read lots about the possible problems caused by dry on diet and the counter arguments to this.

I've decided that I agree with the vet John Burns - that it's not the lack of fluid in biscuits, but the quality of ingredients and the additives in there.

So these cats will be on Burns kibble, which has been used successfully to treat cats with UTI. I will keep on reading information and trying to keep up with the latest research. If the available information changes I'll rethink what I'm doing.

:)

Olivia

Booktigger
04-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Well, it is good that they are on good quality biscuits. I do slightly disagree with the bit about not due to lack of fluid, more ingredients - cats were originally desert animals, so don't have the thirst drive that others do, and even cats on dry with a good amount of water wont have the same hydration that a cat on mainly wet will have, which could cause probs with their kidneys etc later on in life.

Fran
04-07-2006, 09:02 PM
I would never consider feeding my cats a totally dry diet..

Donna
04-07-2006, 10:17 PM
I've decided that I agree with the vet John Burns - that it's not the lack of fluid in biscuits, but the quality of ingredients and the additives in there.

So these cats will be on Burns kibble, which has been used successfully to treat cats with UTI. I will keep on reading information and trying to keep up with the latest research. If the available information changes I'll rethink what I'm doing.

:)

Olivia

I use Burns dry food and my cats love it. :p I agree it is good quality and better ingredients, but even so, still feed my cats wet food in the eves. I either give them a pouch if in a hurry or cod (I buy the frozen cod steaks which when microwaved leave a fair bit of water in the bowl which they lap up with the fish).

Perhaps you could add a bit of water into their diet that way if you feel it necessary, but as you say they are drinking water so maybe not necessary.

I just know my cats love the biscuits but ADORE their evening meals as they cant wait to chew on some fish or a chunk of meat!!:-D

Fran
04-07-2006, 10:38 PM
I agree with Donna. Apart from the renal issue/water consumption issue how boring is a totally dry diet?? About as far removed from the natural diet as it gets.