PDA

View Full Version : Lily's 'killer' instinct!

Ruthlynn
14-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Well, Lily's killer instinct has kicked in and although I know it's natural for cats to hunt, I don't really like it!:(
I found two dead, featherless baby birds inside by her food bowl so she'd obviously found a nest.....poor babies!:cry:
She's got a bell on her collar but it won't help the ones that can't fly away..sometimes I really don't like nature!:(

dinahsmum
14-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Not a lot more you can do.
Magpies, squirrels etc etc take more birds than cats do.
If the greater number of birds didn't perish then nature would get all out of balance.
Recompense by leaving a bit of your garden wild, so there are insects for the surviving birds and fledglings.

Naomi
14-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Moli's killer instinct only goes so far as a leaf or a piece of wool or if the fluffy black cat decides to risk walking past our garden then he gets it :roll:

Fran
14-06-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm afraid that it is nature...I don't have a major problem with the catching of prey, it's the tormenting and playing before they kill I don't like :(

Ruthlynn
14-06-2006, 06:19 PM
I know it's the way of the wild and I just have to get used to it but Lily looks like such a gentle,kind cat.....!!! I don't think I'd mind if she caught them to eat but I just don't like finding them:shock: !!

dandysmom
14-06-2006, 09:14 PM
She's just doing what nature designed her to do...be a predator of small mammals & birds!! Not pleasant, but that's the way it is...

Kim
14-06-2006, 11:11 PM
I don't like it either, but it is their nature sadly. :( I've lost count of the number of birds, mice and even frogs I've rescued. Thankfully the cats I have now don't seem very interested in hunting.

yola
15-06-2006, 10:33 AM
I have a friend that lives in a small town on the edge of some scrubland and a river. She has 2 serious hunters for cats. But the slightly odd thing is that she keeps a tally of 'kills' on her notice board in the kitchen. That I find a little un-nerving :shock:

janey83
15-06-2006, 12:52 PM
I hate it when Tigger gets birds and voles and mice! I fall out with him if he gets them!
I thought he had grown out of that now, now that he is older. But no he still goes after them.:cry: