PDA

View Full Version : Whats the law about dogs and muzzles?

moggymommy
12-05-2006, 02:44 PM
I know there are a few doggie people on here, wondering if you could help settle an argument? :lol:

I was out walking with my toddler and a friend and round the corner came 2 Rotties, not on leads or muzzled, they both came up to my little one and she giggled as she likes dogs. My friend started swearing and muttering that they're dangerous dogs and should be muzzled, they obviously werent dangerous or the guy would've had them on leads :roll:
I argued that they arent dangerous dogs and that the dangerous dogs act doesnt actually specify any breeds other than the 3 banned one (I acutally dont have a clue btw!) but he reckons Rotties, Dobes, Pitbulls and Staffies should all be muzzled.
I just told him he should get his facts right before he speaks!

Julie84
12-05-2006, 02:51 PM
My friend started swearing

I think I'd have more problems with people swearing around my children than a friendly off lead dog licking them! :?

I don't have a clue, I'm afraid, but I have met some really gorgeous rotties and staffies and some really nasty 'kid friendly' dogs so I personally think it should be determined by the nature of the dog in question rather than the breed.

Unfortunately, some people get dogs just so the can turn them into vicious, barking, mean-looking animals and unfortunately it's normally the breeds you mentioned that are chosen by these people (and are bred indiscriminately).:(

EmmaG
12-05-2006, 02:56 PM
you should be able to find out more info here

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/domestic/dogs.htm

moggymommy
12-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Thanks Emma, I've emailed that link to him.

I do like being right!! :lol:

dinahsmum
12-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Is your friend Irish?
Staffies have to be muzzled and kept on a short lead in Eire :roll: - plus lots of other breeds, maybe including Rotties.
Guess who wasn't interested in a headhunted job in Dublin recently?

moggymommy
12-05-2006, 04:20 PM
No, he isnt Irish, deffinitly not.
I'm a cat person really, always have been but even I know there are no dangerous dogs, only dangerous dog owners :mad:

I'd love a Rottie one day but its a loooooong way off.

Snoof
12-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Unfortunately you're right about there being dangerous dog owners, and I wouldn't count on anyone keeping their dangerous dog on a lead personally :( If they were obviously friendly, no problem - and I'm glad your daughter enjoyed them (when my son was 18 months old, if he saw a dog he'd start going "Oggieoggieoggieoggieoggieoggieoggie!" and run towards it :roll: The number of times I worried myself sick).

I know Rotties are portrayed as dangerous, vicious dogs but personally I've never met one who was anything short of adorable... They seem a very friendly breed to me. Dito Staffies.

Hreow
12-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Is your friend Irish?
Staffies have to be muzzled and kept on a short lead in Eire :roll: - plus lots of other breeds, maybe including Rotties.
Guess who wasn't interested in a headhunted job in Dublin recently?

What?! Cat-pagers muzzled as well! We'd never survive!! :-D

moggymommy
12-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Unfortunately you're right about there being dangerous dog owners, and I wouldn't count on anyone keeping their dangerous dog on a lead personally :( If they were obviously friendly, no problem - and I'm glad your daughter enjoyed them

I'm going to be terribly un-PC here and say, you can usually tell by looking at the owners whether or not it would be safe to let your children near the dog or vice versa. I kinda knew the guy who was with the dogs and he said they were ok etc.

GRRR @ People who give good dogs bad reps :mad:

carternm31
12-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Ask him if Roxy should be muzzled: :lol: :lol: :lol: (Dobermann 13 weeks old)

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/carternm31/86Roxy12Weeksv1.jpg

Julie84
12-05-2006, 05:40 PM
How cute! :shock: :smt049

Snoof
12-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Roxy is still stealing my heart I'm afraid - what a cutiepie! I remember I used to want a Dobermann, but where I lived (in America at the time) their ears were always docked. They look so much more natural and cuter with them left naturally :-) :smt007

MM, generally (my son is 4 though, I don't know how old your daughter is) I make my son ask the owner if it's ok for him to pet the dog as I don't want him to think it's ok to randomly pet dogs since he won't be able to tell (and it only takes a split second of inattention).

Emm
12-05-2006, 05:52 PM
originally posted by moggymommy
I'm going to be terribly un-PC here and say, you can usually tell by looking at the owners whether or not it would be safe to let your children near the dog or vice versa.

I have to completely disagree with this statement - very strongly. You cannot tell by looking at the owner whether or not the dog will be alright around children.

Children need to learn to respect dogs - and you should always ask the owner first and supervise the child the whole time they are near the dog.

My own dogs are frightened of children having never been brought up with them - the amount of times I have to tell children who think its okay to come running with arms waving right up to my dogs to stop running, walk slowly, arms at side and then let the dogs approach them if they feel comfortable with it.

You just can't tell by looking at me that my dogs aren't comfortable with small children they don't know.

Emm
12-05-2006, 05:54 PM
awh Roxy is adorable. My sister has a Doberman puppy - Suki - you can see her on Dogweb - they are great dogs - I love them :)

moggymommy
12-05-2006, 06:18 PM
I dont let my kids pet strange dogs either.
My Daughter is 3 and she was right by my side and I was watching her and the dogs the whole time. We were walking in one direction and they were coming the other way, she didnt go running up to them or anything like that and she didnt touch them.

Maybe what I wrote didnt come out the way I meant it, I didnt mean you can tell how dogs are going to be around children, I meant you can usually tell whether or not the owners look as if they are responsible ones or not, sorry. I knew what I meant anyway :lol:

Edited to say, I mean for example, we were at a childrens play area, a responsible dog owner wouldnt have their dog offlead at a playpark if they were scared of children. I can be so inarticulate at times.

Canis-Equus
13-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Okies.... no you cant tell, or can you.....

Would you think the large, very heavily tattooed person walking a staffie type dog is dodgy??

If so, you just picked ME, (ok yeah, im dodgy, lol)...... my dogs are all fine with well mannered kids, as Snoof can testify.

You cant tell by the owner, and you cant tell by whether the dog is on lead or not.

On a public highway, most places have a byelaw stating dogs must be on a lead or 'under control' whihc amounts to the same thing really.

As far as teh DDA goes, any APBT or dog deemed of that type in this country WHEN the ban was brought in must now be registered, neutered, on a lead and muzzled in public places at all times.

However these dogs will all now be either very very ancient or dead.

Other than the above, ALL the breeds on the list are illegal point blank in the uk, there are only four breeds on that list although it does encompass dogs deemed to be of 'type'... (and tahts decided by supposed 'experts'....)....

Rotties have never been on that list in the uk, nor have gsds, dobermans, staffies, dogue de bordeaux, mastiffs, bulldogs, boxers..... etc etc.

ALL children should be taught how to behave around dogs, which is calmly and quietly, ask the owner if you want to pet the dog, leave unattended dgos along and never scream, run around waving arms around, poke or otherwise do silly things around dogs (or in fact any animal).

Em

carternm31
18-05-2006, 05:25 PM
awh Roxy is adorable. My sister has a Doberman puppy - Suki - you can see her on Dogweb - they are great dogs - I love them :)

Trikeschick, yes i talk to her often, Suki is gorgeous! :D