PDA

View Full Version : 20 week scan

yola
03-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Well, on Friday I will be going for my 20 week scan. In addition to the usual checks they will perform, the NHS in our area now permits the sonographer to advise on gender so I will be finding out whether bump will be a boy or a girl.

I have a list of names for both sexes but will be looking for good ideas and novel suggestions from you all once I know gender. Currently hubby is insisting that if the baby is a girl, she gets called Bambi :shock: :shock: :shock:

dinahsmum
03-05-2006, 03:00 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Better get Kazz on the case - she's the name whizz!
Looking forward to finding out though - although I would never want to know if it was me :roll:

Julie84
03-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Ooh, how exciting for you Yola.

Totally irrelevant, but wasn't Bambi a boy in the Disney film?

I like the name Saoirse for a girl but my OH would never agree to that!

bobbie3917
03-05-2006, 03:45 PM
i love the second Scan you can see loads let us know what 'it' is
on my first i didn't know what it was (they wont tell you what your first is in my area) my ex was right all the way though he said girl. on my second they said they couldn't tell but guessed it was a girl and then when i was preg on Josh the Consultant(sp?) said its a boy and showed us how he could see. its not what i thought they would look for (well it is) he made the baby's scrotum(sp?) move lol by wiggling my tummy and got it to move around. i always thought they looked for the pointy out bit lol

borderdawn
03-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Glad its all going well for you Yola.
Dawn.

Hreow
03-05-2006, 04:10 PM
My uncle wanted to call his daughter Polly Esther. He wasn't allowed a vote after that. :grin:

dinahsmum
03-05-2006, 04:14 PM
My uncle wanted to call his daughter Polly Esther. He wasn't allowed a vote after that. :grin:
Not a natural name! :lol:

Donna
03-05-2006, 04:14 PM
I didnt know what sex the baby was when I had Sean, but wanted to know when I was pregnant with Emma, so as to get a few "pink" things in!!!

Good luck Yola!!

Fran
03-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Glad all is going well Yola. Let us know how you get on with the scan

Sweet
03-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Exciting times Yola x

dinahsmum
03-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Fluff would be quite a nice name for a girl :roll: - but not Whiskers! :lol:

yola
03-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Polly Esther . . . I nearly wet myself laughing at that one!!!!

Actually, I favour Allergra. Why is it that I have millions of girls names on my mind and hardly any boys names? It was the other way around with Dominik so it could be a 'sign'???

It has to be a name that works with Dominik - so not too dull but not too wacky either. And also, it needs to be more than one syllable (sp) in order to work with the surname. Not tricky then :roll:

dinahsmum
03-05-2006, 04:37 PM
The allegro was a crap car Yola - but years ago, so maybe that doesn't matter.

Portia?
Phoebe?

Nicola
03-05-2006, 04:40 PM
I have 2 boys but I thought the second one was gonna be a girl and we chose Sasha. He is now called Adam.

yola
03-05-2006, 04:41 PM
DM . . . I can't have Portia. Ken drives a Porsche and that would be just too mean on the kid; imagine Portia arriving at the school gates in a Porsche . . . ;)

However if I wanted to be really mean, I could always call her Portia Mercedes :oops: :oops:

I can only just remember the allergro . . . was that the one with a square steering wheel?? :shock:

dinahsmum
03-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Yes, think so.

Amelie
Amelia

mmm, am stuck on girly names - are my witch-powers working, of have I got it quite wrong?

yola
03-05-2006, 04:43 PM
I have 2 boys but I thought the second one was gonna be a girl and we chose Sasha. He is now called Adam.

Sascha is on my boys list (like Sacha Distel). Ooops. Showing my age there :oops:

random
03-05-2006, 05:45 PM
When I had my boy I could only think of girls names! lol

If i'd have had a girl I was going to call her indya :D

Mags
03-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Good luck at the scan Yola!
There is always the chance it could be twins.......I didn't know I was having them until 30 weeks!:lol:

EmmaG
03-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Good luck Yola, I hope everything goes well xxx

Jac
03-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Good luck Yola. When I was expecting Ceilidh I had an amnio:( . I asked what I was having and told to expect a girl. I was so happy I cryed. I was once told I couldn't carry girls. I bought all the pink stuff I could:roll: . To this day Ceilidh's favourite colour is Pink.
Hope you get one of each!! (no, not twins)

yola
03-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Good luck at the scan Yola!
There is always the chance it could be twins.......I didn't know I was having them until 30 weeks!:lol:

That's not even funny Mags, the thought of just the one extra strikes the fear of God into me :shock:

I've had 2 scans to date and there is definitely only 1 personage in there . . . there was only 1 heartbeat at the consultant appt last friday . . .

Jac - that's lovely. It's easy to tell that Ceilidh is very special to you - just the way you write about her is so full of love :-) Everyone is saying they 'feel' it's a girl. I have to admit to having a preference for another boy. Having said that, as long as it's a happy, healthy baby that shares Dominik's sweet disposition I'd be over the moon!!!

Jac
03-05-2006, 06:13 PM
I'm sure you will be happy with "whatever" bump is. Dont want to frighten you but this is just for a laugh. When I was a Nanny. The girl I worked for was expecting baby no 2. She kept complaining about being "too" big. The doc told her to stop eating so much!! All through her scan's there was one baby. It wasn't until she had given birth to one she was told there was another:lol: . It had gone undetected:shock:

Just a thought how about Akiko, Japanese for princess

Snoof
03-05-2006, 06:16 PM
I never found out what I was having, and everyone told me it'd be a girl... But I felt like it'd be a boy.

And it was :-D

Although the :-D was only for the annoying people who harassed me day and night about how it'd definitely be a girl :roll:

Naomi
03-05-2006, 08:15 PM
I didn't know what my first was until 36 weeks then I was told it was a girl.

I knew my second was a boy as I carried completely differently with him, he was an awkward begger :lol:

My mum didn't know she was having twins until my sister was born and then they said I was there aswell. In all the appointments they could feel a head and feet an apparently it was my sisters head and my feet they could feel, they just thought it was a big baby :D

Mags
03-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Twins were only detected in my case because the doc couldn't find a heartbeat. I was sent for a scan and they found two little ones packed tightly together (boy & girl) :lol:

Jac
03-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Oh Mags that's nice. Bet you were worried sick at the time though.

Mags
03-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Oh Mags that's nice. Bet you were worried sick at the time though.
Yes I was at the time Jac......but completely shocked later!!:lol:

yola
05-05-2006, 08:00 PM
OK . . . the baby is very healthy and growning as it should be. The good news is that I have my 'dream come true' and will (all being well) in September have another little boy to keep Dominik company. Lets hope he inherits the good health, good looks and lovely nature of Domi himself. I have a lovely scan of him and we all saw his 'bits' . . . there's no doubting it's a boy!!!

I'm off out into the garden with a glass of wine :shock: and my fish n chips to celebrate, but will soon be applying myself to working on some suitable names (new baby name book to be bought tomorrow methinks.

All suggestions welcome by the way - so pleas suggest away as I am a little lost for boys names :-D :-D

smudgley
05-05-2006, 08:20 PM
glad all is well Yola.

Well if we had a boy it was going to be Aron, but we had 2 girls :roll: I also like the name Adam, erm.... not sure what other names I like..... will have a think.

Hreow
05-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Congratulations! Plenty of time yet to come up with the right name, but if I can think of a winner, I'll post it. Cat's are easier. :grin:

Snoof
05-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Yes Hreow, but cats are easier because you don't have to pay for therapy quite so much if you get it wrong :lol:

Yola - CONGRATULATIONS! And yay for a little boy! I'm sure I would've loved a little girl just as much, but sometimes I wonder what I would've done with one :lol:

I'll have a think on little boy names and let you know if I come up with something.

Kim
05-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Hope all goes well Yola.

Mags
05-05-2006, 09:13 PM
So glad everything is going well Yola.......also pleased that your wish for another baby boy is going to come true!:D
http://www.annasanimaties.com/babybox.gif

(http://www.gratisanimaties.com/index-eng.html)

Fran
06-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Congratulations Yola...a lovely baby boy :cat21

bobbie3917
06-05-2006, 02:41 AM
glad all is well Yola.

CathyW
06-05-2006, 07:41 AM
my grandsons names are william (billy) adam, harry, jack.
i loved the name jared,
and with my first (they didnt have scans back then) it was all done by touch, and i was HUGE and the doc was busy examining me and she went all serious, i was panicing bigtime here, and she said i dont wish to alarm u but i think its twins :shock: that was on on the friday, on the monday i went into labour and had an 11lb 13oz baby girl, biggest baby born in the hospital for 50 years, everyone kept coming to look at her, she downed a small bottle of milk in one go and looked round for more,and all my tiny baby clothes didnt fit so it was a rush to get more.
good luck with your soon to be baby son, i hope hes a good weight and healthy but not huge like my daughter LOL

Donna
06-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Congratulations Yola,

Happy you have got what you wanted (although my son is in my bad books at the moment, so would like to point out that girls are not that bad!!!).

Not sure of names. I tend to chose shorter names but you want a longer name dont you???

dinahsmum
06-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Great news Yola! Isn't it wonderful that whatever we get - it's what we want!
Hope the next 20 weeks go quickly for you, though I don't want to wish the summer away.

yola
06-05-2006, 09:54 AM
BM - I hope new bubs will not be that big . . . Domi was 8lbs 2 oz, which was just above average. I was a bit of a heffer at 9lbs 6oz so I hope new junior will be slim and petite :shock:

Thanks for all your lovely words and good wishes everyone, it means a lot to me :D

As for names, initial thoughts are: Rufus/Rupert, Hugo, Jolyon (or Julian - same name), Barnaby (BM, don't laugh), Dorian *edit to add, Fredryk*. I'm sure most/all of these will be discarded and added back to the list over the next 19 weeks . . . but will be buying a new baby name book today to search for inspiration :-D

Jac
06-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Congratrulations Yola. So glad you have another wee boy as you wanted.

janey83
06-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Congratulations Yola. Good Luck!

dinahsmum
08-05-2006, 11:33 AM
As for names, initial thoughts are: Rufus/Rupert, Hugo, Jolyon (or Julian - same name), Barnaby (BM, don't laugh), Dorian *edit to add, Fredryk*. I'm sure most/all of these will be discarded and added back to the list over the next 19 weeks . . . but will be buying a new baby name book today to search for inspiration :-D

Well Yola - what's top of the list today? :)
I like the 'R' names - and Rory/Ruari/other spelling - and Hugo....and Fredryk, come to that, but I expect you've 'moved on' since Friday!

yola
08-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Nicholas and Aleksander have been added to the list; but Fredryk is still my current fave :roll: I bought a baby book with 7,000 names in it yesterday. It's an American book (no offence other DM), but some of the names are just completely off the wall. Zorg, Delete, Himmler - I kid you not :shock: :shock: :shock:

I keep thinking that I should have some more 'wacky' names but keep coming back to the more traditional ones. I'd like one that will work in Polish as well as English . . .

Ken likes Roland, but it does nothing for me. I prefer it's fancier derivative, Orlando!!!

Nicola
09-05-2006, 11:34 AM
I have 2 boys which I was pleased about but everyone seemed to assume that I was dissapointed and wanted a girl. Irritated the hell out of me:)