PDA

View Full Version : Gardening

Kazz
16-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Yesterday Sat, I spent most of the day in the front garden cut the grass divided the perrenials and planted them again, hopefully this year no annuals in the front all perrenials flowers. I have removed the large lavender which had gone woody.

In the back I took up 14 3x2 slabs to make more space for plants :smt003 so I will have to dig it over and add compost, soil conditioner etc ready for planting I want to plant a magnolia I have been growing in a pot for the last 4 year just waiting for the right place to plant him. The Magnolia is yet another half dead bargain I brought him almost dead 5 years ago:sad: but have brought him back to life.

Sorry I forgot to take pictures, but will take some before I start the
gardening bit.:smt003

Karen

Donna
16-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Sounds like you had a busy day Kazz - next time dont forget the camera!!

EmmaG
16-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Looking forward to the pictures Kazz :)

Sweet
16-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Well Done, fancy doing mine ? LOL x

dandysmom
16-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Kazz, a busy day! What kind of magnolia have you been nursing along..is the Southern evergreen one, or one of the deciduous ones? I didn't know magnolias would grow in the UK...had a vague feeling it was too cool for them! They're planted all over here in Washington & make a magnificent spectacle when a late frost doesn't catch them...which it tends to do more years than not! They bloomed beautifilly this mild Spring. Our dogwoods & azaleas are starting now; one of my favorite times of year:D

Kazz
16-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Okay here's a picture of part of my hard days work in the back removing the slabs I have done nothing today:roll: this is after I moved they are stacked up at the moment awaiting being collected.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kazz76/Captured2006-4-1600006.jpg

And the Magnolia is called "George Henry Kern" its more a shrub than a tree growing to approx 8' high by 5' wide when mature, but its slow growing.
It has rose pink buds which open to paler pink, it flowers mid spring to summer so nice timing. Buds are there now and should be starting to open in the next week or so I imagine; hopefully he will like its new home. Yes they need to be protected from Frost I imagine as he gets bigger he will need less protection. I hope:roll: He is called George Henry by me.
Sorry it is the deciduous one and lots of them appear all over the UK in gardens it seems once they are established they really take off.

dandysmom
16-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Sounds as if he'll do just fine! What is your average frost date? Mid-Spring to early summer sounds great for enjoying the blooms.I'm just waiting for the first week in May so I can set the tomatoes outside & some of the dahlias...and stop carrying those 26 pots from window to window!! LOL

Kazz
16-04-2006, 09:21 PM
I would say the first week in May and you are safe(ish) to plant out bedding. I start doing my baskets up anytime now but a bit of a poor year weather wise this easter. So I will leave it til next week and bring them out daytime and bring them in at night. Giving them a chance to start well.

I am not a veg growing person only flowers me.:D

Kim
16-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Kazz, you have been busy! I have been gardening all day today and very pleased that everything looks tidy again. Lavenders seem to go woody very quickly in my experience (maybe it's just me!) However they are so pretty and I love the smell!

Fran
16-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Looks like you have been busy Kazz! hope you are going to post progress reports :-D

Kazz
16-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Kazz, you have been busy! I have been gardening all day today and very pleased that everything looks tidy again. Lavenders seem to go woody very quickly in my experience (maybe it's just me!) However they are so pretty and I love the smell!

Snap.:-D I plant them where people will brush past them, and I also plant in pots up high so I can touch them as I pass:-D

dandysmom
17-04-2006, 02:42 AM
That's what I do with rosemary; love the scent! We're on the edge of the hardy zone; normally overwinter very well but every so often get a really horrible cold snap that kills it to the ground ....the one I haver now is about 3 years old & flourishing! :D