PDA

View Full Version : Please can I have all your advice for a new kitty owner :)

Juliet
08-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Hello everyone :smt039

Nice to be here. I'm another Dogwebber! :mrgreen:
I'm soon going to be the proud owner of a Bengal kitten :smt049 I lost my moggie James a few months ago sadly and now my hubby's getting me a kitten. Bless him! so I'm experienced with cats but very out of practice with kittens :smt100 . Hubby's had a few but I got James when he was around 5 from a rescue.
I want to get everything right from the start so please don't hold back in offering any advice - however small it's much appreciated :smt008
I'm very excited :smt026 and it's great to see that other Bengal owners are here as well.

Jx

Donna
08-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Hello and Welcome!!

Biggest problem I had was over enthusiastic daughter syndrome!! She wouldnt leave my two kittens alone - and now they are quite skittish and do not like being picked up!!

My advice - give them space and time to get to know you without overdoing it!!!

Fran
08-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Warm welcome to Catpages! How very exciting, a new kitten and a Bengal kitten at that :smt007 Can't wait to see piccies of your new arrival!

Anything you want to know, fire away and between us I am sure we will be able to help :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/pretty1kitty/Welcome.gif

Juliet
08-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks

I've got a feeling my dog's not going to know what's hit him :smt103 :lol:
Fortunately he got on very well with my last cat who adored him and he's got a real playful streak.

Jx

samwise
08-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Hello there and welcome!!

I am sure the cat will rule the roost! I know my 2 do and I have 4 big dogs!
Photos please!! When are you getting the kitten? Is it a boy or girl? Sorry about the 20 questions!

Juliet
08-04-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm going to get a little boy and I'm not sure when I can bring him home as he was only born on the 3rd of April so he's teeny tiny at the minute.
I'll post lots of pictures when I've got him and I can see him in around 3 weeks time :-D

Jx

Fran
08-04-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm going to get a little boy and I'm not sure when I can bring him home as he was only born on the 3rd of April so he's teeny tiny at the minute.
I'll post lots of pictures when I've got him and I can see him in around 3 weeks time :-D

Jx

You must be so excited!! Have you thought of any names for him yet?

Juliet
08-04-2006, 08:44 PM
I quite like the name Zeus but I keep trying to think of others as well.

dandysmom
08-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Welcome, Juliet!! Am sure the little guy will do well; it's obvious that he's going to a home where he'll be well-loved...that's important! :D

Juliet
08-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks

I've just bought him this ...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/Teddy1/rome_large.jpg
to keep him out of mischief. If anyone's got a Costco card they're a bargain at £35 and it's huge :smt103

dandysmom
08-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Awww, he's going to love that!! I like Zeus!

Mags
09-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi Juliet, http://www.cosgan.de/images/more/flowers/043.gif to Catpages!!
I'm sure your little kitten will settle in well when he comes home!:D

Looking forward to seeing pics of him when you get him!

bobbie3917
09-04-2006, 02:49 PM
hello and welcome

Sweet
09-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Welcome to Cat Pages x

Violet waves a paw x

I am a new Mummy to Violet who is 8 months nearly, she came to me just at 4 weeks - I am sure everything will go fine and on here are a great bunch! x

Elaine
09-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Welcome to cp and all the very best with your new kitten xxx;)

Moli
09-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Hi warm welcome to Catpages..............

carternm31
10-04-2006, 03:20 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/carternm31/Catweb2.jpg

Hello, I would say like everyone here. Buy plenty of toys, and i recommend a water fountain, which i have just purchased for my cat, she LOVES :smt007 it!!

Hreow
17-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Welcome, Juliet! I had the same "problem" as you, having had and dealt with cats, rather than kittens. CP is a good place to air any worries and concerns you have, there are many clever and caring people posting here.

carter: You mean, buy plenty of toys and expect most of them to be ignored. :-) Top toy here was three or four bands cut from a loo-roll empty and made into a ball. Light, slightly unpredictable movement due to the uneven-ness and edges to hook claws and teeth into. Makes a puzzle-ball if you put a treat in the centre. May be better to wait with that until he knows how to destroy it, though. Don't know how frustrating it would get otherwise as I wasn't clever enough to think of it before that time. :grin:

My guess is that you'll have to wait until Zeus is twelve-and-a-half to thirteen weeks at least before you can bring him home (Unless he's a rescue Bengal?) so be prepared to have the days drag on for eons. Personal emotional scars showing here.... :-) He'll be an easier, happier kitty if his littermates can show him the advantages of scratch-free play etc., so it's better for him and for you in the long run. Take lots of photos for use as emergency rations while you wait. (And because we'll pester you for photos until you do... :grin:)