PDA

View Full Version : Cats and Pesticides

Donna
16-02-2006, 07:21 PM
I have a shrub in my garden that is being eaten alive by slugs. All the slug pellets you can buy at the garden centre say they are poisonous to pets - so what do I do????:?

Mags
16-02-2006, 07:38 PM
If you put a covering of coarse grit around the base of the plant, the slugs will be reluctant to go over it......
It's worth a try Donna....the kitties will not be harmed then:-P

smudgley
16-02-2006, 08:08 PM
If you put a covering of coarse grit around the base of the plant, the slugs will be reluctant to go over it......
It's worth a try Donna....the kitties will not be harmed then:-P

Well the kitties will be ok, but i reckon you are gonna have an army of angry slugs to deal with :lol:

EmmaG
16-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Good idea Mags,

Also slugs do not like copper they will not travel over it, so you could place some copper strips at the base of the plant. Alternatively you could use some beer traps, sink a few plastic pots into the soil around the base of the plant, fill with beer and the slugs will get a bit drunk, best to fill these up at night :)

EmmaG
16-02-2006, 08:11 PM
more tips for you here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2876862

smudgley
16-02-2006, 08:13 PM
I thought the law states that all slug control stuff - has to be pet friendly? I may be wrong, but thought that's what someone told me from DEFRA?

You definately can get pet friendly slug pellets.

But I have known dogs that have been killed through eating poisonous slug pellets :( so be careful

Donna
16-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks for all you tips!! Will see what I can do for the poor holey plant!!

Kazz
16-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Apparently slugs are also attracted to grapefruit, half a grapefruit in the garden should attract them. But the best I have found coarse grit and the beer traps.

Fran
16-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Salt dries them up so if you see some get the salt out!

Mags
16-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Salt dries them up so if you see some get the salt out!
You can put salt on the slugs to kill them but don't put salt near your plants as it could kill them as well:?

Fran
16-02-2006, 09:46 PM
You can put salt on the slugs to kill them but don't put salt near your plants as it could kill them as well:?

Must be the`reason I don't appear to have green fingers Mags :roll: :-D

Mags
16-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Must be the`reason I don't appear to have green fingers Mags :roll: :-D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dinahsmum
17-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Suggestions:-

Non-commercial
Physical barrier - sharp grit, crushed eggshell in a circle to surround the stem
Semi-physical barrier - porridge oats, in a circle round the stem. Birds eat it, may attract vermin

Commercial products
Fito brand - Slug Stoppa - a white granular product, surround the stem, the slugs won't cross. Much more long lasting than grit etc. I've had great success with this on the allotment
Copper tape/rings/pads - http://www.slugitout.co.uk/displayprod.php?dept=Copper&subdept=0&lnk= Fairly new slug solution but I've heard good reports.

None of the above harm pets or wildlife (if you don't count slugs and snails .... but they aren't harmed, just deterred)

Good luck

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_2_201v.gif

Donna
17-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions!!