PDA

View Full Version : Phobia!

dinahsmum
24-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Don't know why it has taken me nearly a week to talk about this, but here goes.

Colleague of OH came to do some work with him last week. He is terrified of both dogs and cats, following an incident, involving being bitten by a dog when very little (he can't really remember it, doesn't know the type of dog etc etc).
I didn't know that before he came, but I did keep Dinah in the kitchen anyway, as she was muddy and she would try to gain attention and distract the work. So, they worked on OH's office, then came in for a cup of tea before S went.
I have never ever seen anybody cringe/cower away from a cat as he did when Tizzie vaguely approached him (both my cats are very sociable and are happy to go to visitors). It was quite disarming.

I think he ought to go and get hypnotherapied or something; it is so bad it must affect his life. What a shame :(

Kazz
24-01-2006, 12:24 PM
I feel sorry for him, butI imagine he is used to it. Does he want to alter it?

dinahsmum
24-01-2006, 12:34 PM
I feel sorry for him, butI imagine he is used to it. Does he want to alter it?

Yes Kazz - he no doubt feels it is part of 'him'. And I'm projecting myself into his skin saying what a shame! Can't imagine a home without an animal in it:roll:

yola
24-01-2006, 12:34 PM
How debilitating for him!! I know with my fear of birds/feathers how crippling a phobia can be. If he feels it's affecting his quality of life maybe he should get some help? Poor chap!

Fran
24-01-2006, 01:20 PM
How awful for him to be so terrified :shock: I think if it were me, I would have to get help to overcome the fear. There are so many cats and dogs around that you just can't go through life without coming into contact with any??

Kay
24-01-2006, 02:50 PM
What an awful phobia to have. I think my phobia is having his phobia :lol: :lol: :lol: couldn't live without my cats and dogs.

Elaine
24-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Poor guy. It would kill me to have a phobia like that. I am slightly nervous around horses due to an accident I had with one when I was 15. I am also slightly nervous of certain dog breeds which really saddens me because i love dogs too, just not practical for me to have one.
Still I love my cats and cannt imagine life with out them.

Donna
24-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Thats sad as he must come face to face with his fear on a daily basis.

Mags
24-01-2006, 08:07 PM
That is so sad:( Just goes to show we don't realise how much some people suffer with their phobias:(

CJK
25-01-2006, 06:46 AM
it is very sad isnt it. My only phobia is lorries. I cower away from then wehn in the car, but i had a crash 4 years ago.

I love my animals to bits so am glad I not scared of them. I am scared of dogs a little, the ones you hear bad things about, staffies, etc. I know theyre not all bad, but the breeds like that have hgad so much negative press it makes me afraid to go near them.

poor man though

Snoof
25-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Poor lad. Having a phobia is no fun, but when you're phobic about something as commonplace as cats... Must be awful.

Naomi
25-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Poor man, I can't imagine having a phobia about cats and dogs. The only phobia I've got is spiders :shock:

CJK you should have met my staffy Jas, he was a right twit and as dull as dishwater :lol: Was a bit scary when you had 18kg of solid muscle come bounding down the garden at 100mph, tounge hanging out with a huge staffy grin on his face and then forgetting where the brakes were so used your legs as a buffer and jeeze it would hurt :shock: Many a time thought the little swine had bust my knee caps :lol: It's a shame you only hear about the 'bad' ones and not the 'good' ones

My sister has a phobia about birds and will cross the road even from a dead one :(