PDA

View Full Version : Early morning blues

suep
12-01-2006, 09:26 PM
I left home at 7.15 this morning and had to scrape the ice off my car.
I drove to work in thick fog- most unpleasant!!
Whilst driving through one of the local villages I noticed what I thought was a black plastic bag in the gutter.
It turned out to be a little black cat dead in the gutter.
I drove into work close to tears and all day all I could think about was that some poor person was missing a beloved pet.
I'm so glad mine don't go out.
Sue

dinahsmum
12-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Could you pop a quick advert somewhere?
I've seen them, they end 'sadly dead' :cry: but at least their owner knows............

Fran
12-01-2006, 09:51 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Kay
12-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Oh how awful. I know what you mean Sue, mine are indoor cats as well. I could never settle if they were out.

CathyW
12-01-2006, 10:19 PM
at least some one had moved it to the side of the road,that was one thing that i found comfoting when my monty got hit by a car,he was moved so no other cars could get him, still didnt stop me crying for weeks,
so glad mine stay in now, even if i got a house witha garden id keep them in now.

EmmaG
12-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Sue, I am so sorry you had to see that cat :(

Nowadays if I see one on a regular route I give it a couple of days then if nobody has taken it I take them to the local vets so they can see if they have been microchipped. I saw a poor cat once dead on the hard shoulder of the A12 it was there for at least a week, it really did upset me to see that every day. I couldn't stop because it would have been too unsafe :( It looked like a gorgeous tabby boy :( and he looked hardly untouched :(

Donna
12-01-2006, 11:04 PM
What a terrible thing to have to see. Mine are always safe indoors when I am out and only go in the garden for ten/fifteen minutes at a time before they come in. Am happy with that arrangement cos I know they are safe.

Hope someone has removed the poor kitty now.:cry:

dandysmom
13-01-2006, 06:03 AM
:cry: Mine are indoors only, thank God. Live on a busy street, my neighbor lets hers run outdoors & has lost 2 beautiful cats to traffic...I thought she'd learn after the first death, but...:cry:

yola
13-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Oh how terrible Sue!!! I once saw a beautiful British Blue by the side of the road one morning and I WAS in tears all the way to work. I think putting notices up is a very good idea - I've not ever seen any but I think for a worried owner at least they KNOW what happened :cry: My cats too only go into the garden under supervision - if I can't see them then I worry!

I hope today is a better one for you.

CJK
13-01-2006, 10:29 AM
i had a cat go missing 2years ago, but we never found what happened to him. i still let my 2 DSH out, but the exotic i keep in, as theyre too stupid to ahe road sense lol. It is so sad though, I always remember when i was about 5 and we lived in london, there was a dead cat in the middle of the right, right next to traffic islands where everybody crossed the road. I wouldnt cross the road there again until it was moved, and it was about a week, will never forget that or when my mum hit a cat in her car, she was in tears. the owner heard the car screach outside her house and saw too. I was even younger then, so young i dont remember my age, I dont remember anything else other than my dad had to come in his police car ( he was a policeman then) and drive us home cos my mum was too upset to.

dinahsmum
13-01-2006, 10:31 AM
I was in a hurry when i posted my rushed response last night, so just to say - what a horrible way to start the day :( I've never forgotten actually seeing a cat road fatality, over 30 years ago. Took ages to get over that - I hope and pray I never see anything involving people.

As for letting the owner know - most local papers take 'found' adverts for free, so you could just put - 12 January, road between x & y (describe it better if you can...by the phone box or whatever), small black cat, sadly dead - if it was me I'd want to know.

take care x

EmmaG
13-01-2006, 10:39 AM
I saw a cat road fatality last year, I think it will always haunt me :(

I only let my cats out now at the weekend or during the day if we are there, Bronwyn doesn't like going out much unless we are out with her and now Arthur does spend a lot of time when he is out over the field chasing mice

yola
13-01-2006, 10:43 AM
DM - seeing a 'human' road fatality never leaves you. I witnessed one about 6-7 years ago. I stilll replay it in my mind and it makes me shudder every time. Thankfully it wasn't a child. That I think I'd need therapy to overcome.

Around here (town centre) SO many people just let their cats wander around. I always drive really slowly on the side roads that have cars parked either side of them, but although I've (touch wood) never hit a cat yet - I've had a few dart out into the road almost infront of me.

Having said that - hubby (when he wasn't hubby and we were just working together) did hit a cat on our way back from Brighton once :cry: :cry: :cry: it was very late and all I remember was that it was large and white :cry: :cry: :cry:

CJK
13-01-2006, 10:58 AM
i have seen a few human road fatalities, some at side of road some when iw as a nurse, they never leave you. I saw a horse at side of road once, had just been hit as police were still there etc, that upset me too.
if i lived anywhere busy again I woudlnt let my two big boys out anymore.

Kim
13-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Ah sorry you had to see that poor cat. It always upsets me when I see a dead cat in the road. I witnessed a squirrel being hit by a car & killed a few months back and that haunted me for the rest of the day. If I lived near a main road I wouldn't let my cats out ether.

CathyW
13-01-2006, 09:42 PM
we had a cat go missing a few years back,i walked round serching hedges ect for weeks, asked the council workers,even the postman,went to all the local vets,still never found him, im just hoping he moved in with someone else.

Naomi
14-01-2006, 09:48 AM
I saw a cat get run over a few years ago. The car infront of us hit it and crushed it's back end. The poor cat literally dragged itself across the road. We couldn't stop cos there were other cars behind us :(