PDA

View Full Version : Help Ticks

whiskey
12-11-2005, 11:34 PM
this evening i was brushing my cat and realised she has about 20-30 tickes:shock: all over her head. i cant understand why because i use frontline every 2 months :? which is surposed to help this problem from happening.i think ive removed most of them.has anyone any suggestions as to how to get rid of them:)

bobbie3917
13-11-2005, 12:43 AM
nope sorry, i thought front line should keep them off

dinahsmum
13-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Ooooh, poor you and poor baby.:shock:
That is a lot of ticks - they will have taken a lot of blood and maybe put in some nasty 'bugs' so I'd keep a good eye on her for a few days.

Sounds like you need to give her a good Frontlining - put a good spray on your rubber gloves and rub all round her muzzle and face and ears.

If you've a strong infestation around you (we do too at this time - I think it's as the deer move around more for their rutting) perhaps you should treat her a little more often than the bottle suggests.

Good luck, let us know. :cat21

smudgley
13-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Last year we found a few dead hedgehogs in our garen, all within a few days of each other.The dog & cats investigated & the dog had about 30 fleas on her ears (nowhere else) & one of my cats had about 30-40 ticks, only on her face, neck, muzzle & front paws. Some were great big "daddy ticks" & some were teeny weeny "baby ticks". We sat with Emily (luckily she's very good & will sit patiently) on our lap & picked off each & every one with a tick remover - (ones from Mikki are excellent-don't cost much) then we frontline sprayed her.

The most important thing is to a) remove them all & b) remove them properly - they can cause nasty infections if part of them is left in.

This did the trick & we've never seen a tick since (touch wood)

dinahsmum
13-11-2005, 10:53 AM
I remember the hedgehog incident Smudgely. Did you ever recieve an explanation?

smudgley
13-11-2005, 11:27 AM
No - Defra came & took away the 4 dead hedgehogs & said they would tell us results of PM's but never did, so we pressumed they were not poisoned - although some people have suggested they may have eaten too many apples that had fallen on the floor & got poisoned by the apples

whiskey
13-11-2005, 08:20 PM
thanks everyone:D i think i have removed them all and i shall keep an eye on her to make sure none of them get infected ive smothered her in the frontline spray which she wasn`t happy about but its better than having ticks.i will just have to see how she gets on if not it could be a trip to the vets.

Mags
13-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Let's hope that did the trick Whiskey......

EmmaG
13-11-2005, 08:32 PM
arrghhhh Ticks, they make me shudder, I remember finding one in my compost heap once.... yuck!!!

Keeping my fingers crossed for your Whiskey that your cat gets no more.