PDA

View Full Version : What does that smell remind you of....

Kazz
20-10-2005, 07:37 PM
The sense of smell has to the one sense that is capable of evoking memories and taking us back to a time or even a moment in time - what "smell" does that for you?

Karen

Kazz
20-10-2005, 07:39 PM
For me its carbolic soap you rarely see it or smell it these days but if I do catch a whiff then it takes me straight back to my Nan's back kitchen - she always had carbolic soap. http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Another is cigar smoke and satsuma's (or oranges) remind me of Christmas my Dad always smokes a cigar on Christmas day. http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Or the scent of Stargazer lilies take me back to the first time I got my own bouquet of flowers :-D

Karen

Jac
20-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Swarfega (sp) has to be when I was young 4-5ish and my Dad worked on machines and cars.
Cigar smoke, again my Dad smoked them.

Mags
20-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Mothballs bring back memories of my grandmother's house :) Lavender reminds me of my mum:( ....and like Kazz satsumas are definately Christmas:-D

Fran
20-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Cigars......remind me of after midnight mass on Christmas Eve when we were kiddies. My uncle Harold would enjoy them with some whiskey at our house after mass

dinahsmum
20-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Appparently it's the most eveocative of the senses - even when everything else has gone, smells have the power to evoke distant memories.

Neighbours were trimming the hedge with a petrol engine hedge trimmer a couple of weekends ago..............I spent a couple of hours feeling sick and remembering standing by the side of a Standard 8 on the outskirts of Yeovil being violently sick:smt078 a hundred years ago when I was a child! I was the world's worst traveller as a child and am still not great now.

Not the nicest of aroma-induced memories but incredibly strong:roll:

Nice ones are Christmas-when-I-was-a-child ones like the others - cigars and tangerines!

The Piddler
20-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Ivory soap............ that is what we always used as children.
Warm apple pe - **mom**
Old Spice men's after shave **dad**

bobbie3917
20-10-2005, 10:54 PM
again as for most its satsumas/tangerines takes me right back to Christmas as child (a Christmas party in the local club where u had an apple, Tangerine and a dance)

then very very strong vinegar, i smelt it a few days ago and it took me right back to my Grans houes when i was young and she would do this type of onion salad socked in vinegar mmmmmmm

grass fires, yes i know a strange 1 lol but living in a small village as a child there was loads most summer on the surounding mountings makes me feel like im 8 again :D