PDA

View Full Version : Howdy folks - query on the catwalk...

Peregrin
19-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Hi

I guess I'd better say hello then!

Our moggie Gromit sadly left this earth a few months ago and the void in our lives has been huge. My partner is allergic to cats though so we thought we'd try a Devon Rex as she has owned them before.

Problem is, we couldn't just have one! They are too sweet!

So now, we are counting the days (11) until we can collect them by frantically tidying the house and trying to remove as much stuff as possible that they might destroy!

These will be my first pedigree cats and I'm aware that there are concerns about letting them out. As our last cat was run over, I can see their point of view but not letting a cat enjoy the outdoors goes against my nature.

So, any views on leads or harnesses? I understand the Devon Rex breed take quite well to it and we intend to get them used to the harnesses ASAP while they are still young.

Thanks!

P

Moli
19-10-2005, 06:43 PM
Hi warm http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/9.gif to Catpages........Looking forward to pic's of your new kittens...Don't know much about cat harnesses, sure someone will be on soon that does though.........

Mags
19-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Hi http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/18.gif to Catpages!! Look for ward to chatting to you and hearing about your cats....

Jac
19-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Hi and welcomehttp://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/2.gifnot sure about harnesses. To be honest I just keep my cats in. I have enough with dog harnesses:?
Look forward to your photos.

Luke
19-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Hi and welcome, have you thought about an outside cat run?

Fran
19-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi and warm welcome to CP...

http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/1.gif

Have you thought about cat proofing your garden? If you do a search on here there is a thread about it....

Congratulations on the new impending additions to the family :-D and we look forward to hearing all about them and seeing piccies of course ;)

bobbie3917
19-10-2005, 09:17 PM
hello and welcome

i would not let your new 2 out as some 1 make walk off with them

but walking them just like a dog then i can see np in that at all

samwise
19-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Hello there and welcome to Cat Pages!!!:D :D

I used to be allergic to cats, but I think it was sheer determination that got me over that! CANT be allergic, CANT be allergic:D :D :D

Az
19-10-2005, 11:55 PM
Hi Peregrin and welcome to Catpages :smt039

Looking forward to seeing pics of your new family members soon!

Re cats on a leash - I trained Cheetah to do this and we lived on a quiet cul de sac and she loved it! I even took her in the fields in the summer on a long leash and she ran like a horse! :lol:

However as she was calling it made her want to go out all the time so I stopped it. If they are used to the indoors from kittenhood they won't know any different - I would much rather knowing my cat was 'safe' than knowing she could get run over :(

I'd prob only take a cat out on a lead in wide open areas where I could be sure there were no dogs around tho as i would worry about that.

Good luck tho and let us know how u get on!

LaKitten
20-10-2005, 12:19 AM
Hi there and Welcome!!!!!

Two of our cats were trained to a leash when small and still will use one. We are in the country now so there is not much need for that here. But mostly they prefer to stay in anyhow. Its just toooo hot down here to be outside much!

dinahsmum
20-10-2005, 08:39 AM
:smt039 Hi and welcome to CatPages! Hope you like it here.

We moved house three and a half years ago and I used harnesses on my 2 (then ages 12 & 14) when they first explored the new garden. They were fine - didn't react at all. Sorry I haven't any experience of using them 'outside'. Do you know if Rex's are like Siamese in terms of territory? My Siamese has an area she is happy in and an invisible border over which she will not cross. Would be nice if your 2 regarded their garden like that. Or cat-proof the garden? - sounds a good idea to eliminate the potential heartbreak.

Let us know what you decide, and of course show us the pictures.:cat21

yola
20-10-2005, 09:20 AM
I have used harnesses on my persians when they were small. I soon found I could stop using them as the cats (bar a quick excursion) would just loll around in the garden. They do not go outside with out us being in the garden with them, and on the whole train very well to a limited space. We live by a VERY busy road so there is no way that they will be allowed out unsupervised AND they're persians so some low life would try to have them away I'm sure

BTW - welcome to cat pages and hope to hear more about how you get on with your 2 new additions!!

Peregrin
20-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks everyone. Cat proofing the garden - no chance! It's too huge and open as we live out in the sticks.

A cat run is an idea I'm considering but we are definitely giving harnesses a go so we'll keep you posted!

My partner previously had a Rex that she let out with no problems but our lasty moggy did get run over so we have to bear that in mind.

S'pose not letting them out does reduce the number of bloody presents you find in the morning! I just worry about our ability to keep them in as we love fresh air.

P

janey83
20-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi and welcome,

When my cat got run over (he's still living) We put a metal pole in the middle of the garden with string attached to it then have the other end of the string attached to his lead, then each time he went out we just clipped his lead onto his harness, so he was free to roam the back garden, he loved it.

(That was just so's that he got use to not going far from his home!) and it works! Now he just stays in our street!

dinahsmum
20-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Hi and welcome,

When my cat got run over (he's still living) We put a metal pole in the middle of the garden with string attached to it then have the other end of the string attached to his lead, then each time he went out we just clipped his lead onto his harness, so he was free to roam the back garden, he loved it.

(That was just so's that he got use to not going far from his home!) and it works! Now he just stays in our street!

What a great idea!